Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi is on the roll. The firm at a dedicated event today in China announced a number of devices including the Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G, the Mi Mix Alpha, the Mi TV Pro, and of course its latest custom OS -the Miui 11. Of much interest to us here is the Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G – the sequel to the Xiaomi Mi 9, and the company’s latest flagship offering.
[wc_divider style=”solid” line=”single” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” class=””][/wc_divider]
How much is the Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G in China?
Just before we delve into detail specs, let’s talk about the Mi 9 Pro 5G asking price. For those in China, the Mi 9 Pro 5G is immediately available to order in Dream White and Titanium Black color options but won’t ship until September 27 at a starting price of CNY3,699 ($520/€473) for the 8/128 GB base variant. The 8/256 GB, 12/256 GB, and 12/512 GB variants, on the other hand, are priced at 3,799 yuan (~$535), 4,099 yuan (~$575), or 4,299 yuan (~$605) in that order. Xiaomi also introduced a 30W wireless charger priced at 199 yuan (~$20). The firm has only announced pricing and availability for the Chinese markets. However, other markets will be getting the device but at what time we can not tell. And while all the attention seems to be on the Mi 9 Pro 5G, the firm also actually revealed a 4G flavor.
- Mi 9 Pro 5G 8GB RAM with 128GB storage — 3699 yuan (US$ 520 / Rs. 36,875 approx.)
- Mi 9 Pro 5G 8GB RAM with 256GB storage — 3799 yuan (US$ 534 / Rs. 37,860 approx.)
- Mi 9 Pro 5G 12GB RAM with 256GB storage — 4099 yuan (US$ 577 / Rs. 40,875 approx.)
- Mi 9 Pro 5G 12GB RAM with 512GB storage — 4299 yuan (US$ 605 / Rs. 42,870 approx.)
- 30W Fan-cooled Wireless Charging Stand — 199 yuan (US$ 28 / Rs. 1,985 approx.
Away from price, everything about the Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G including specs and design are all top-notch. The Mi 9 Pro is a 5G phone – a cheap one at that, and one point thing is certain here – Xiaomi is out to prove that 5G smartphones don’t need to be excruciatingly expensive.
The device flaunts a 6.39-inch Full HD+ Super AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection and 90.7% screen to body ratio. And much like the Mi 9, the Mi 9Pro has 3.6mm thin chin, and a water-drop notch that is home to the front-facing cam. It ditches the SD 855 for the latest Snapdragon 855 Plus 7nm Mobile Platform with Snapdragon X50 5G modem and support for 7-antenna 5G bands for improved signal reception. The firm claims the device has a download speed that is 10 times faster than the Mi 9 pegging it at 2.02Gbps (lab) and 1.78Gbps (field test). The Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G has a customized L shaped vapor chamber cooling system which helps keep the processing temperature low by up to 10.2 °C.
TO meet up with the task of a 5G phone, the device comes packed with a 4,000mAh battery with support for an improved fast charging – Wireless and wired charging inclusive. You can charge the device’s 4000mAh battery wirelessly on a special 30W stand in about 70minutes, while it only takes 40 minutes to jack up the device from 0% TO FULL capacity with the supported 40W wired fast charger. The Mi 9 Pro 5G also has 10W reverse wireless Qi charging support.
The camera specs remain largely unchanged packing a; 48MP main shooter (Sony IMX586), a 16MP ultra-wide, and a 12MP telephoto, but with improved software features, like AI ultra-wide shots, moon mode, and AI Skyscraping.
Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G specifications
- 6.39-inch (1080 × 2280 pixels) Full HD+ Super AMOLED display with 103.8% NTSC color gamut, 600 nits brightness, >60000:1 contrast ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus 7nm Mobile Platform (1 x 2.96GHz Kryo 485 + 3 x 2.42GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.80GHz Kryo 485) with Adreno 640 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB / 256GB storage, 12GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB / 512GB storage
- Dual SIM
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 48MP rear camera with 1/2.0″ Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.75 aperture, LED flash, OIS, Laser Autofocus, PDAF, CAF, 12MP 1/3.6″ Samsung S5K3M5, telephoto lens with f/2.2 aperture, 1.0μm pixel size, 6P lens, 2x lossless zoom, 16MP 1/1.3″ Sony IMX481 117-degree ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 1.0μm pixel size, 6P lens, 4cm macro
- 20MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 157.21×74.64×8.95mm; Weight: 196g
- 5G, Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh battery with 45W fast charging, 30W wireless fast charging