If you recently downloaded the Discord app and joined a channel and due to this your phone always pops up with notifications all the time and you are wondering if it’s possible to turn off notifications on your Discord app? In today’s guide, I’ll be showing you “How to turn off Discord notifications.” According to Wikipedia “Discord is a no-cost proprietary chat application available for PC and mobile platforms. A Discord server contains both text and voice channels used for real-time discussions and to share other forms of media between the members of that server.”
Discord is an app that has a place for everyone and from all walks of life, whether you’re part of a school club, gaming group, worldwide art, or possibly a group of people who just love to hang out together, Discord is the app for you. Discord servers are organized into topic-based channels where you can collaborate, share and just talk about your day without clogging up a group chat.
But as we all know if as a channel grows, the number of notifications coming into your device increases, and over time it can become annoying and you want to turn off the notifications, just follow the simple steps below, as I’ll be showing you practical steps on how to turn off discord notifications.
How to Turn off Discord Notifications
Discord has many features for disabling notifications, you can disable notifications from individual people or servers as the case may be and even turn off all sorts of notification sound or icon.
How to Turn off Discord Notification for An Individual
In order to turn off Discord notifications for an individual or specific user, two options are available. You can either block the specific user or mute the user.
The easiest method is blocking the user because this action stops you from receiving any notifications if they @ mention you and interestingly hides all messages they send in any server you share with them (for servers you share with a blocked user, you can still see their messages if you click on the Show Message button otherwise you can’t see it).
For Desktop Discord users, you can easily block a specified user by right-clicking their username and select “Block”. And if you are using the mobile app, simply tap on their username, and then select the three dots located at the top-right corner of the menu that appears and finally click/tap on “Block”. Read Also: How to block and Unblock someone in Discord.
How to mute Discord Notification
Supposing blocking the user is an extreme measure and you still want to know how to turn off Discord notification for an individual, then we’ll be applying the second method which is muting the individual.
After muting an individual, the difference is you can still receive messages from them but you won’t receive any notification when they message you directly, I’m you are happy now, I knew you didn’t want to block that user.
Alright enough of the chitchat, I’ll be showing you how to turn off Discord notifications for an individual using the mute option. Muting an individual can only be done on the Desktop app, and to perform this action, navigate to your private messages with them and right-click their name found on the left sidebar, select on “Mute” from the drop-down menu and select how long you’d have them muted for.
With the above steps, you should know how to turn off Discord notifications for an individual or specific user.
How to Turn Off Discord Notifications for A Specific Channel
In order to turn off Discord notifications for a specific channel, you’ll have to mute the channel, and once you perform this action, you’ll no longer receive any notification from messages inside of it and if someone @ mentions you after the channel has been muted, you’ll just find a red notification dot next to it. Now, in order to know how to turn off Discord Notifications for a specific channel, follow the steps outlined below:
- Locate and enter the server that has a channel you want to mute and open the channel.
- For the Desktop Discord users, right-click the channel’s name and select “Mute Channel”
- And afterward, select how long you’d like to mute the channel for. And just so you don’t want to select a time frame you can easily click on the bell icon to mute the channel indefinitely.
- For the Mobile Discord users, locate and tap on the channel’s name located at the top of the screen, and when the bell icon appears, you can select how long you’d like to mute the channel for and you can simply change your settings to only be notified about your @ mentions.
With the above steps, you should know how to turn off Discord notifications for a specific channel. Read Also: How to Record Audio in Discord.
How to Turn Off Discord Notifications for A Specific Server
Once you mute a server, automatically every channel inside of it will be on mute as well.
For Desktop Users
- Locate the icon of the server whose notifications you wish to mute in your server list and right-click on it.
- Next, select on the “Mute server” and select a time frame you are comfortable with.
For Mobile Users
- Locate and open the server you want to mute or disable notifications for, and tap on its name located at the top of the channel list.
- After tapping it, select the “Notifications” option that appears on the menu.
- Next, select the “Mute” option located at the top of the next page, and select how long you’d want to mute the server for.
How to Turn Off Discord Notifications (Sound and Desktop Alerts)
- Locate and click on settings (the gear icon) located at the bottom left part of your screen.
- Click on “Notifications” from the sidebar on the left.
- Here, after clicking on notifications, you should find a list of various options to pick from. You should be able to turn off message and notification sounds as well as desktop notifications.
With the above steps, you should know how to turn off Discord notifications for all sounds and desktop alerts.