Do you own a Linksys router? Have you forgotten your username, password or possibly both? Or do you just want to change your current username and password, and you are looking for a way to reset your Linksys router to enable you to access the internet? If you are here because you are experiencing the problems stated above, then you are in the right place as today’s article is geared towards teaching you how to reset Linksys router.
Linksys is an American brand of data networking hardware products that are sold most of the time to home users and small businesses. The company was co-founded by a couple named Victor and Janie Tsao in 1988.
The Linksys router is used to connect one or more computers to the internet. Some computers operators prefer to attach it directly to their computer while others prefer to wireless network card to enable them to access the internet without the use of cords or wires. The majority of people choose Linksys as a medium to access the internet that is why it becomes frustrating once it doesn’t perform its function just because you had forgotten your username or password.
Well, you don’t have to worry about this problem anymore, because today’s article is tailored to teach you how to reset Linksys router.
How to Reset Linksys Router
Resetting your Linksys router is not a difficult process as there are two (2) methods with which you can do this, namely: the software and hardware process.
How to Reset Linksys Router (Software Approach)
For this method to work, Ensure that the router is turned and it is recommended that you use a hardwired connection from your computer to the router in accessing the router’s web interface. This is done to ensure that you have a stable internet connection and also avoid possible access to other Linksys routers in the area. But if you’d rather use to connect to the web interface using a wireless device, then ensure that the wireless device you are using is connected to your Linksys router’s Wi-Fi before proceeding.
If you have the basic requirement set, I’ll now proceed to reset the Linksys router using the software approach. Follow the steps outlined below to be able to reset Linksys router using the software approach.
- Open your web browser.
- On the search box, input https://192.168.1.1 and tap on Enter. This should connect you to the router.
- Enter your username and password. If you haven’t changed your password from the factory default, then just leave the username blank, and enter admin as the password.
- Click on Log in.
- On the web page, go to the Administration tab. It is usually found at the top right corner of the page and click on it.
- Next, click on Factory Defaults at the top of the page below the Administration tab.
- Click on the Restore Factory Defaults.
The process takes a while, you’d have to wait for the power light to stop blinking. Once the blinking stops, you have successfully reset your Linksys router.
To ensure that the process was successful, visit a website on your computer to test its connectivity. Once it connects, congratulations! You have successfully learnt how to reset Linksys router.
The software approach is usually carried when the Linksys router starts misbehaving and you can’t access the internet anymore and this time it’s not because you forgot your password.
How to Reset Linksys Router (Hardware Approach)
This approach is meant to solve the forgotten username and password issue. So if you fall in this category, follow the steps outlined below to learn how to reset Linksys router using this approach.
- Turn off your computer.
- Unplug your router from the power outlet.
- Wait for a minute and plug it back in.
- You should find a small button labelled Reset, which can be found at the back of the router.
- Straighten a paper clip.
- Insert the straightened paper clip into the Reset button. After insertion, press and hold the Reset button. At this point, the power light should start blinking.
- Hold and wait for the blinking to stop. This should take 10 seconds for newer models to stop, while older models take about 30 seconds.
Once the blinking stops, you have successfully learnt how to reset the Linksys router using the hardware approach. Using this method will clear your home networking settings and change all of your settings back to default.
To be sure you did the right thing, open your web browser to test the internet connection and if you are still having issues try restarting your computer before testing again.
How to Change Your Linksys Router Default Password
Since resetting your Linksys router using the hardware approach changes your password to the default password, to secure your data you’d have to set up a new password to prevent other people who may know about Linksys default password from gaining access to your internet connectivity. To do this follow the steps below:
- Do steps 1 – 5 from the software approach of resetting your router.
- Under the Management section, input your new password in the Router Password and Re-enter to confirm.
- Finally, click on Save Settings.