Have you recently lost your device or your device got stolen and all you are worried about is the sensitive information contained in your Google account? Then worry no more, in today’s guide I’ll be teaching you how to remove your Google account from a lost device.
Purchasing a new device is usually great as you can try a lot of things with the device. You can sign in to your Google Account, play games, make purchases online, etc. But what happens if that device gets missing? This means whoever gets holds the device can have access to your Google account and this becomes scary especially when the account involved is associated with your bank.
Have you recently lost your device and you are in a tight pinch because there are important pieces of information on your Gmail account you wouldn’t want someone to see? Then, lucky for you found this blog post, and in today’s guide, I’ll be guiding you on how to remove your Google account from a lost device.
How to Remove Your Google Account From a Lost Device
There are two methods available through which you can remove your Google account from a lost device. So whether you are receiving this post with a mobile device or from your personal computer, you can easily remove your Google account with any of the above-mentioned devices and I’ll be guiding you shortly on the steps to take to enable remove your Google account from a lost device using any of the aforementioned devices.
How to Remove Your Google Account From a Lost Device Using A Mobile Device
Probably you have bought a new device just to carry out these steps or you already have access to a mobile device. Regardless of the method, you used to obtain the mobile device, follow the steps outlined below to learn how to remove your Google account from a lost device using a mobile device.
- Go to Settings (the gear icon). You can access your settings through your app list.
- Scroll down to the Accounts section and tap on Other accounts.
- From the list of apps available, scroll down and tap on Add account.
- Tap on Google from the menu available.
- Input your email address or phone number associated with your account into the field provided and press Next.
- Input your password in the field provided and tap on Next.
- Once you have been signed into your account. Go to Google under the Security section found in Settings.
- Tap on Manage your Google Account found at the top of the page.
- Tap on Menu (the three horizontal bars) found at the bottom right corner of your phone.
- Tap on Security from the list of options provided.
- Scroll down until you find the “Manage devices” option under Your devices Once you do, tap on it.
- You should see a window showing you all the devices where your account is currently signed into. Locate the device that was stolen from the list.
- Once the device has been found, tap on the three vertical dots to the right of the device.
- A menu should appear and on that menu tap on Sign out. Alternatively, you can tap on More details found below the device you want to remove. After tapping on it, you should see Sign out at the top of your screen, tap on it to sign out.
- A confirmation window will pop up requesting you to confirm your request, tap on Sign out to continue.
Once you do this, Google will automatically sign you out of that device and also send an email to you as an added security to ensure you were the one who signed out of the device. At this point, you have successfully learned how to remove your Google account from a lost device using a mobile device.
How to Remove Your Google Account From a Lost Device Using A Computer
If you can’t have access to a mobile device at the moment but there is a computer within your reach, you can equally perform the same task with that computer. Follow the steps written below to learn how to remove your Google account from a lost device, using a computer.
- Go to your web browser (preferably Chrome or Firefox)
- On the search bar type in “Gmail Login” and hit Enter.
- Click on the first link that appears from your search results.
- Input your email address or phone number and click on Next.
- Input your password and click on Next to sign in to your account.
- Once you have been signed into your Google account, click on Settings (the gear icon) found at the top of the screen.
- Click on See all settings.
- A window should appear. Click on Accounts and Import found at the top of the window.
- To the right of Change account settings, click on Other Google Account Settings.
- Click on Security found at the left-hand Menu.
- Scroll down till you find Your devices section, once you do click on Manage devices found under this section.
- Once you have found the stolen or missing device on the list, click on the menu (three vertical dots).
- A drop-down menu should appear, on that menu, click on Sign out.
- Click on Sign out again to confirm that you want to remove your Google account from that device.
After confirming, Google will automatically remove your account from that device and you no longer have to worry about having your sensitive pieces of information leaked out to another person. Also, not only is your account now safe but you have also learned how to remove your Google account from a lost device using a computer, should you ever misplaced your device again or have to help someone else in a similar situation.