In today’s guide, you will not only learn how to watch YouTube on Nintendo Switch but also how to search for videos and how to clear search history.
Nintendo Switch since its launch in 2017 has stunned the market with numerous amazing games for kids of all ages available to download from the Nintendo eShop. However, amongst all its amazing features, there was one huge omission, which was YouTube. YouTube is available on other platforms like PS4, Xbox, and most smart TVs, so why can’t I access YouTube on Nintendo Switch? Well, there’s good news for you as you can now watch YouTube on Nintendo Switch.
Google has finally released an official YouTube app for Nintendo Switch, now you can access YouTube freely on your Nintendo Switch. No need to look for any workarounds to access YouTube on your Nintendo Switch anymore, just head to the Nintendo eShop and download the YouTube app.
How to download YouTube on Nintendo Switch
Before you can watch YouTube on Nintendo Switch, you have to first download it. If you are having difficulty downloading the YouTube app, then kindly follow these instructions and you’ll be watching YouTube on your Nintendo Switch in a few minutes.
- Launch your Nintendo Switch
- Scroll down to the bottom of the home screen and click on the Nintendo eShop icon
- Navigate to the search option and search for YouTube
- A list of results will be displayed including the YouTube app, now click on the YouTube app
- Click on the Download button
- You will be required to input your Nintendo ID login details
- Once installation is complete, you will be notified.
- Now return to your Nintendo Switch home screen and click on the YouTube app
- After laughing the YouTube app, you will be required to sign in to your google account.
- Sign in with the Google account you use with YouTube.
- After successful sign-in, if your account is associated with different google identities, they will be displayed for you to select from, select the account that is linked to your YouTube channel.
- Doing this will grant you access to your favorite channels and playlist
- If you do not wish to sign in, you can click on ignore.
How to play YouTube videos on Nintendo Switch
After you successfully download the YouTube app on your Nintendo Switch, you are now ready to watch YouTube videos on your Nintendo Switch, but the usual means you have been using to navigate through Youtube may not work here, hence, follow the guideline below to watch your favorite videos on Nintendo Switch:
- Launch the YouTube app
- Explore YouTube using the D-pad or left joystick.
- Note: Swipe gestures are currently not supported on the YouTube app
- Select a video to play
- After selection, a control bar will be displayed which will allow you to perform specific actions
- Tapping on the B-pad will return you to the home screen
- Tapping on the A-pad will play or resume your selected video
- Click Captions (cc) to view the video’s closed captions
- Click on “More Actions” to view more options when playing a video.
- You can subscribe to any channel, rate a video, or even report any video violating the community guideline right from your Nintendo Switch
- The screenshot function is currently not supported on the Nintendo SwitchYouTube app.
How to search and clear search history on your Nintendo Switch YouTube app
Follow the guidelines below to be able to search for YouTube videos and also clear your search history on Nintendo Switch:
- Launch the YouTube
- On the main menu; tap on X-pad to search for video
- Use the Y-pad to add space, and B-pad to delete a character when searching for a particular video
- As you input the required characters, relevant videos will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Use the D-pad or left joystick to navigate left or right through the displayed videos
- To edit your search or input new characters, press the X-pad again or click on the keyboard icon, and the keyboard will be displayed for typing
To Clear your search or watch history kindly follow the steps below:
- Click in the settings option on the YouTube app
- Click on “Clear watch history or Clear search history”
- Doing this will immediately clear your account’s search or watch history from all devices. Even your stories watch history will be cleared.