Prior to this time, it was not possible to watch HBO Max on Roku and some of you still don’t know that it’s possible to actually enjoy all HBO Max has to offer on your Roku device. Well, if you don’t know that you can now enjoy HBO content on Roku or you already know that it’s now possible but don’t know how to gain access to it, then this guide was tailored specifically for you. In today’s article, I’ll be teaching you how to how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV. Read Also: How to Watch Live TV on Roku Devices.
Roku TV was first launched in May 2008 and it was developed in collaboration with Netflix to offer access to streaming media content from various online services. And HBO Max on the other hand was launched in May 2020, – approximately 12 years after the launch of Roku TV.
And ever since the launch up until 17th December 2020 when both companies struck a deal, it wasn’t possible to enjoy HBO Max contents on Roku and that was a significant roadblock to increase HBO membership as it prevented millions of Roku users to gain access to HBO Max that depends on Roku TV for their entertainment. Check out: How to Fix HBO Max Currently Unavailable Error Message
Now you know that it’s possible to gain access to HBO Max content, let’s dive into how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku TV
There are several ways to enjoy HBO Max on your Roku TV and I’ll be guiding you through all of them. HBO Max services are not free as it’ll you a total of $14.99 dollars per month, which you can still cancel at any time of your choice if for any reason you feel you no longer want their services. Follow the set of instructions outlined below to learn how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV.
- If you don’t already have an account with HBO Max, before installing the app on your Roku device sign up for an HBO Max account. You can perform this action by visiting HBO Max website on any browser and click or tap on Subscribe Now and afterward follow the signup instructions.
- After signing up, press the Home button on your Roku TV remote control.
- Select Search Channels.
- Search for HBO Max and select it.9I
- Next, choose Add Channel.
- Wait for the app to install and after installation select OK.
- Return to your Home Screen by pressing the Home button on your remote.
After following the set of instructions above, you’ll find out that HBO Max is now listed among your channels. Open the app and key in the details you had obtained from registering from the web and you can now gain access to HBO Max contents. There is an alternative means to register which is via Roku Pay on your Roku device.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku TV Via Update
If you are already an HBO subscriber through either HBO Now or HBO Go you can gain access to HBO Max by updating the app and in most cases, the device automatically updates the above-mentioned HBO streaming apps. If that is not the case for you, then you have to update those apps manually.
Follow the set of instructions outlined below to learn how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV.
- Select the HBO app (either HBO Go or HBO Now) on your device using your remote control without opening the app.
- On your Roku remote control you should find an asterisk (✳️) button, press it.
- Select Check for Updates.
- Finally, wait for a few minutes and afterwards, Roku would have replaced the HBO app with HBO Max.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku TV Via Apple AirPlay
In order to be able to enjoy HBO Max services on your Roku TV there are certain requirements to be met. I’ll be listing the requirements, please ensure you have everything ready before we move into how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV via Apple AirPlay.
- 4K Roku TV or 4K Roku Streamer (which includes the Ultra, Streaming Stick Plus, Premier, or Streambar).
- You should be running on Roku OS 9.4 or later.
- Have access to an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or a Mac computer.
- Your iOS device should be running on iOS 12.3 or later and for the Mac device, it should be running on macOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later.
For both the Roku and Apple devices, you can check if your OS is compatible with the settings on the device. For Roku devices, you can simply achieve this by going to Settings afterward select System and About, and for Apple devices excluding the Mac you can gain access to your OS information by going to Settings and afterward tap on About and finally for your Mac Computer, simply click the Apple menu at the top left corner of your screen and select the About This Mac command.
Before you can start using AirPlay on your Roku device, ensure that you have updated your Roku OS to the latest version and your Apple device is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku device. Once you have all the requirements set, follow the steps below to learn how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV via Apple AirPlay:
- Open the HBO Max app on your device.
- Open Control Center on your iOS device. It can be done by swiping up on older iPhones with a physical Home button and for newer iPhones swipe down from the right corner of your screen.
- Tap on Screen Mirroring and then select your Roku. To know if it has worked, you should see your iPhone mirrored on your Roku.
- Finally, on the HBO Max app, tap on the video you want to want and it’ll be mirrored perfectly on Roku.
While Mac users can follow this route, for Mac users you’ll have to go to System Preferences and then select Display to get to the AirPlay option.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku TV Via An Android Device
With an Android device, just like the iPhone AirPlay feature, you can also cast your Android Screen onto your Roku device as the feature has been available on Roku for a really long time.
Before we proceed to the steps you must take to be able to cast your Android screen into your Roku device, you have to find out what it is named by the manufacturer since Android is open-source, unlike iOS which has a unique name throughout all its products. The names you should look out for your Android device to know if your device can perform this feature are:
- Wireless Display
- Display Mirroring
- Smart View
- Quick Connect
- HTC Connect
- AllShare Cast
- Screen Casting
The above names are some of the names you look out for. Also, before proceeding just like for the iOS device, ensure that your Roku is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Android device. Next, follow the steps below to learn how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV via an Android device:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on HTC Connect (or any other equivalent name your device uses).
- Tap on Roku TV on the list of devices available.
If you did it properly, your Android Screen should be cast on your Roku TV. Most times, before you’ll be able to use the screencasting feature on Android, you’ll have to enable it first and you can do this through the System Settings on your device.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku TV Via Windows PC
You can also cast your Windows screen on your Roku device. Follow the steps below to learn how to watch HBO Max on Roku TV via Windows PC:
- Go to Action Center. On Windows 10 it has been renamed to Security and Maintenance. You can do this by simply typing Action Center on the search for older Windows versions and Security and Maintenance for Windows 10.
- Next, click on
- From the list of available devices, click on Roku.
Alternatively, tap your Windows key once and tap “project to a wireless display”. Finally, open up HBO Max on a web browser, and you are done.
N/B: when you’re using your mobile device (either iOS or Android) to cast, I would advise you to make active “do not disturb” to prevent calls, messages, and other notifications from disrupting your streams.