Want to learn how to set up voicemail on iPhone? This step-by-step guide gives you access to all the voice recordings made by callers on all your missed calls.
But first, what is a voicemail?
A voicemail is simply defined as an electronically stored voice message that is usually left by a caller and is meant to be retrieved later by the intended recipient. The intended recipient can have access to the stored message via phone, desktop, email, as well as other communication devices.
The voicemail service on an iPhone device has loads of benefits.
Many top brands and businesses use voicemail to ensure that they are available 24/7, but still, if you are not a business person or you do not own a brand, you are not left out here as voicemails can help you out in times when you do not have access to your phone and you miss a call or when you are too busy to pick up a call.
How to Set Up Voicemail on iPhone
The iPhone comes with an inbuilt feature that lets you set up voicemail on your device without the use of a third-party app. You can set up voicemail on your iPhone device directly from the phone app.
To do this, follow the steps outlined below to learn how to set up voicemail on iPhone via the phone app:
- Locate the phone app and tap on it to open it.
- Tap on voicemail. The voicemail button is placed at the bottom-right corner of your phone app window. If after selecting the voicemail button, it initiates a call, then you should follow the prompts to complete setting up voicemail on your iPhone otherwise continue reading.
- If it does not initiate a call, tap on the Set Up Now button displayed on your screen.
- Set up a password. Your password has a character limit of being 6 digits long and a minimum of 4 digits.
- If you are not provided with the option to set up a password, it simply means that your voicemail is already set up and now, you just have to record a greeting by tapping on the Greeting’stab found at the top-left corner of your screen. You are more likely to experience this if you transfer data from an old iPhone to a new one.
- After inserting your desired password, tap on the Done button found at the top-right corner of the screen. On the next screen, input your voicemail password again before confirming your password. Tap on Done again to complete the voicemail password set up.
- Doing that will lead you to the voicemail Greeting On the Greeting page, you can customize your voicemail Greetings for specific contacts on your device and also set business hours for voicemail which is very important for individuals who run businesses and brands.
- On the Greeting page, two options are available. You can either tap on Default which lets you use your service provider’s default voicemail greeting or you can tap on Custom which lets you record a custom message that’s unique to you.
- Tapping on the Custom button gives you the option of recording your message. To record, tap on the Record button found at the bottom-right right corner of your screen.
- When recording your voicemail message speak audibly and when you are done, tap on Stop, followed by Save to the message you created.
- To preview the message, you can tap on the Play button found at the bottom-left corner of the screen. However, if you do not like the message after previewing, select the Cancel button to delete the message and proceed with making a new recording.
- Once you become satisfied with the message created, tap on the Save.
Alternatively, if you are using an older version of the iPhone, you may not be able to set up voicemail via the phone app, in that case, you can set up voicemail on your device via your service provider.
Since the different provider has different methods to follow, to set up voicemail via your service provider, simply lookup (search) how to set up voicemail on iPhone for (your specific provider) and follow the steps outlined by your provider in order to have voicemail up and running on that your older device.