If you’re not new to the word Netflix, you’ll agree that although it is an American company, it’s not a one country service. To this effect, it’s only necessary they have multiple language support for people of different backgrounds. So, if you’re not an English native or you just prefer using the service in another language, here is a guide on how to change your Netflix Profile, Subtitle, and Audio Language. Netflix is a movie on-demand streaming service that allows its members to watch a wide variety of award-winning TV shows, movies, documentaries, and more. Users can stream Netflix’s content on thousands of internet-enabled devices.
With Netflix’s basic plan starting at $7.99, you can enjoy unlimited ad-free viewing of the platform’s content from around the globe. On Netflix, you can easily watch films and shows in other languages. Additionally, there are options for changing the audio track of a video, subtitles, or the language on your profile, no matter where you live. Normally, Netflix determines the language serves a visitor based on your location. For example, if you’re trying to access Netflix from Brazil, your profile would automatically appear in Portuguese by default. However, you can change your Netflix Profile, Subtitle, and Audio Language if you’re not conversant with the language.
At the moment, it is impossible to change your Netflix profile language on an iPhone, iPad, Android app, or any other platform. However, you can do this in a web browser and the settings you change will be applied across your Netflix account on other platforms. With that being said, let’s focus on how to change your Netflix Profile, Subtitle, and Audio Language.
Change the Your Netflix Profile Language From “Manage Profiles” Menu
The quickest and easiest way to change the language on your Netflix profile is through the “Manage Profiles” menu after logging in. You can do this following the steps below;
- On your PC, visit Netflix.com using any browser of your choice.
- If you’re already signed in to the profile you want to change on Netflix, click your profile icon at the top right, and then click “Manage Profiles”. If you’re not signed in, sign in with your Netflix details and navigate the pre-stated steps.
- From the main profile selection screen, click on “Manage Profiles” again.
- Select the profile you want to edit, You’ll see various options, including the option to rename your profile, parental control settings and others.
- Click on the “Language” drop-down menu and select the language you want to switch your profile to and then click on “Save.”
- You’ll be returned to the profile selection screen. Click “Done” to confirm your changes.
For that profile, the language Netflix displays would be the one you selected. Additionally, if a TV show or movie you’re watching has audio tracks or subtitles available in that language, Netflix would automatically use these.
Change the Your Netflix Profile Language From “Account” Menu
You can equally change your Netflix profile’s language from the “Account” menu. To access it, ensure you’re logged in to Netflix on a browser.
- Click on your profile icon at the top right corner of the web page, and select “Account.”
- Scroll down to the “Profile and Parental Controls” section, and click on the downward arrow next to the profile you want to change the language for.
- The current language active on that profile would be listed in the “Language” section. Simply click on “Change” beside it to select a different one.
- After selecting a new language from the list that appears, click on the “Save” button to apply this change.
After this change, Netflix will effect your new language settings to the one you chose. For any content you watch that’s available in that language, Netflix will default to it for the audio and subtitles.
How to Change the Audio and Subtitle Language on Netflix
The two procedures above change the entire language settings on that account. However, if you wish to only change the audio and subtitle language on one video or show you’re seeing, you can do it during playback. Netflix will automatically default to your chosen profile language. By default, Netflix only allows up to seven alternative languages which you can switch between during playback. If the language you want isn’t listed, you’ll have to switch your profile language to it using the steps we covered above.
The methods below covers how to change the language of Netflix audio and subtitles while playing a video on the web and mobile. However, the steps wouldn’t have many differences on other devices, including smart TVs.
How to Change the Netflix Audio and Subtitle Language on the Web
To do change the Netflix audio or subtitle on the web, follow the steps below.
- Visit Netflix and sign in to your account.
- Select the content you wish to watch and start playing the TV show or movie.
- While it is playing, hover your cursor over the player until the options menu appears at the bottom.
- Click on the Audio and Subtitles icon at the bottom right corner of the player.
- A list of available audio streams and subtitle languages should be listed in the pop-up menu.
- Click on the language you want to switch the audio stream or for which you want to enable subtitles.
- The audio stream would immediately change to the new language. If you enabled subtitles, it would begin to appear at the bottom of the video.
How to Change the Netflix Audio and Subtitle Language on Mobile
- On your Netflix app, ensure the video is playing.
- Tap on your device’s screen to see the playback options.
- Tap “Audio and Subtitles” to access the available languages.
- Select a language from the “Audio” or “Subtitles” section, and tap on “Apply” to confirm your settings.
- The audio will now be in your chosen language. Subtitles are disabled by default, but they should now appear in your video.
Note: when you switch to another video, the language is taken to the default language. These settings only apply to the video you’re watching. If you wish to make the change on the entire profile, you’ll need to take the first step discussed in this guide.