Key LG G8X Highlights
- 6.4-inch OLED FHD Plus.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855.
- 6GB RAM/128GB storage with microSD card slot.
- 32-megapixels front cam.
- 12- and 13-megapixels rear cam with OIS.
- 4,000 mAh battery.
- In-screen fingerprint scanner, IP68, Fast Charge 4.0 compatible.
LG mobile is perhaps not trying out the foldable smartphone option right, at least no until the struggling Korean firm sees a good market response to the Galaxy Fold and the Huawei Mate X. However, the company back at the WMC in February tempted us with the V50 ThinQ with a detachable and optional second SIM. Months after the release, and just about the second coming of the Galaxy Fold, the Korean firm has launched a new flagship model – LG G8x ThinQ.
The device is no doubt an upgrade over the G8 ThinQintroduced back at the MWC, and much like the V50 ThinQ, the LG G8X ThinQ gets a second screen case that connects to the G8X over USB-C (the V50 version was wireless).
Slot the phone into the case, activate the second display from settings, and you’ll have one phone with two screens much similar to a foldable phone. This is perhaps LG’s bid to get a chunk of the market segment that may find the foldable appealing.
Both the G8x ThinQ and the second detachable screen offer a 6.4 inch 2340 x 1080 pixel OLED display, while the external side offers a 2.1-inch monochrome OLED cover display. It displays time and markers for notifications on the outside of the case.
Interestingly, both displays get a noth design which is home to a separate selfie came, and that effectively means the LG G8x ThinQ comes fitted with two selfie cameras – a 32MP Quad Bayer unit on both displays. Around the back, it makes do with a dual-camera setup that sits flushed with the back panel. The camera is highlighted by a 12MP main unit (1/2.55″ sensor, 1.4µm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, dual pixel PDAF, OIS) and a 13MP ultra wide-angle one (1/2.8″, 1.0µm, f/2.4, fixed focus) that covers a crazy 136-degree field of view.
Under the hood, the G8X ThinQ gets the dated Snapdragon 855 chipset and is available only in 8GB/128GB storage version. It retains the headphone jack, QuadDAC behind, and is powered by a 4000mAh battery. Sadly, the DualScreen/foldable component has no separate battery of its own, and that means it depends on the main device for power. The G8X ThinQ boots Android 9 out of the box, but gets a new LG UX 9.0 overlay with a cleaner and simpler shapes, bolder icons and built-in dark mode. The LG G8X ThinQ will sell in Korea as LG V50S ThinQ with 5G support, while G8X ThinQ has only 4G support.
Notably, the LG G8X ThinQ is gonna be durable and long-lasting, and to ensure that, the device comes layered with Gorilla Glass 6 in front and back. Furthermore, it is IP68 certified, while it also passed 14 categories from the MIL-STD 810G standard.
LG G8X ThinQ Pricing and Availability
We are not sure what price tag LG will attach to its device, as it has yet to detail the pricing and roll out details. We can not also say at this point if LG will sell a bundle of the device or split apart. We will update you when we have these critical details.[wc_divider style=”solid” line=”single” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” class=””][/wc_divider]
LG G8X ThinQ / V50S ThinQ 5G specifications
- 6.4-inch (2340 x 1080 pixels) 19.5:9 FHD+ FullVision OLED Display
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB storage / 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB storage (V50S ThinQ 5G), expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 12MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, 78° lens, 13MP ultra wide camera with f/2.4 aperture, 1.0µm pixel size, 136° lens, LED flash
- 32MP front camera, f/1.9 aperture, 0.8μm pixel size, 79° lens
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers, 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC, FM Radio
- Dimensions:159.3 x 75.8 x 8.4mm; Weight: 192g
- Water, dust resistant (IP68), MIL-STD 810G certified
- 5G (V50S ThinQ), 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- 4,000mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
LG Dual Screen
- 6.4 inch, 2340 x 1080 pixel OLED display
- 2.1 inch monochrome cover display
- USB connection
- 360-degree hinge
- 166mm x 85mm x 15mm
- 134 grams