Google-owned online video platform Youtube has rolled out a new update that allows Youtube creators to change the Channels’ names without impacting the entire Google account. Although creators could change their Channels name before now, not without it affecting the name on the Google account. All that has changed.
With the new update, the Youtube teams seek to help make your Google Account and YouTube channel two separate entities. So if the name tied to your Gmail account for example is “SuperNova”, you can change your YouTube channel’s name to something entirely different if you wish to. However, the update comes with some caveats that we will reveal to you shortly, but before then, let take you through how to easily change the name of a channel on YouTube.
Changing your youtube Channels’ name is easy and could be done in a few seconds. Here, we will be guiding you on how to change your youtube channel name both on mobile and Desktop. First off, here’s how to change your YouTube channel name and profile picture, without updating your Google account name, mobile.
- Navigate to your YouTube studio in your desktop browser.
- Locate and click on “Customization” from the sidebar menu.
- To change your channels’ profile picture, click on the “Branding” tab.
- Then click “Change” next to your profile picture to upload a new one.
- To effect a change of Channels name, click on the “Basic info” tab and click the pencil icon next to your channel’s name to edit it.
- Save the changes you have made by clicking “Publish” to reflect the new channel’s info.
You can likewise change your youtube Channel name and profile picture on the youtube mobile app for both iOS and Android. To do this, simply;
- Fire up the YouTube app on your device, click your profile picture in the upper-right.
- Tap “Your channel.”
- Tap “Edit channel.”
- Edit your channel’s name and/or profile images.
- Save your changes.
You will agree with me that changing your Youtube Channel name is a reasonably simple process, However, and as we mentioned earlier, there is a caveat. First off, there are a few things to note before you proceed to change your channel’s name.
- Youtube creators with the Verified channel will lose their verification badge. This you can regain after the name change, but you must have to reapply.
- Changing a channel’s name will in no way alter your channel’s custom URL as well as official musical note icons next to their channel’s branding.
For more, you can check out our guide on how to Make YouTube Videos Loop Continuously, How to remove third-party apps from your Google Account, and How to Watch deleted YouTube Videos. We also have guides on how to play Youtube Videos in the Background on your Phone, and How to Unsubscribe from a YouTube Channel.