Do you want to change your Skype name but don’t know how to? Or you did put conscious effort into changing it but nothing seems to work? Lucky for you, you visited this blog post and I’ll be teaching you how to change your Skype name. Read more – How to change your Skype background for video calls.
Skype is a software application that provides VoIP-based telephony, video conferencing, and voice calls. Skype has grown so much over time that is more or less a domestic name. In March 2020 alone skype announced that over 100 million people used skype on a monthly basis and over 40 million people on a daily basis.
Anyone who has been using Skype knows that it’s much easier to change your display name than it is to change your username. The reason for this is because upon creating your Skype account, your username which is usually autogenerated is tied to your account which acts as the unique identifier to help others find you in the skype search. In today’s guide, I’ll be teaching you how to change your Skype name (display name).
Changing your Skype username isn’t an easy task as the process involves changing your email address. The implication of changing your username using this method could result in losing all your contacts. Hence, before using this method, you’d have to backup all your chat history, skype files, and skype contacts.
Secondly, there is the case for people who did sign up for skype before skype was acquired by Microsoft in 2011. For these sets of individuals, you will have to make use of a username that isn’t linked to an email address, and even though it isn’t linked, it still can’t be changed either unless a new account is created.
Unfortunately, regardless of the method, you apply Skype doesn’t let its users change their Skype Name (still known as Skype username or Skype ID). If you’d like to change your Skype display name instead but don’t how to go about it, continue reading to learn how to change your Skype display name.
How to Change Your Skype Display Name
Changing your Skype display name can be done through various devices. I understand that not everyone uses the same device that is why in today’s guide, I’ll be teaching you how to change your Skype display name on Android, iPhone, Mac, Windows PC, and Chromebook.
How to Change Your Skype display name on Android
To be able to change your Skype display name on Android, follow the set of instructions outlined below:
- Open the Skype app on your Android device.
- Log in to your account.
- Tap on your profile icon found at the upper right corner of your screen.
- Under the Manage section, tap on Skype profile.
- Tap on the Pencil icon to the right of your display name.
- Type in your preferred name. Once you are done you can either tap on the return key on your keyboard or tap on the checkmark found on the right of the name text box to save changes.
If you have gotten to this point, congratulations! You have successfully learnt how to change your Skype display name on a Mobile device.
You should know that changing your Skype display name alters what other Skype users see when they try to connect with you but they can change your display name after you have been added to their contact list. What this means is that they can change how they want to see your name displayed on their device.
Alternatively, if you don’t yet have the mobile app installed on your device and you’d like to change your username immediately, you can do that through your web browser on your mobile device. To do this, follow the steps outlined in “how to change your Skype display name on windows PC” of this blog post. Ensure to set your browser on desktop mode.
How to Change Your Skype display name on iPhone
The process of changing your Skype display name on iPhone is no different from the steps involved in changing your username on Android. Hence, to learn how to change your Skype display name on iPhone, follow the set of instructions outlined under how to change your Skype display name on Android.
How to Change Your Skype Display Name on Windows PC
To learn how to change your Skype display name on Windows PC, follow the set of instructions outlined below:
- Open the Skype app on your Windows PC.
- Log in to your Skype Account.
- On the Home Screen, click on your profile icon found at the upper left corner of your screen. Clicking on your profile icon reveals a drop-down menu.
- On that drop-down menu, click on your Skype profile found under the Manage section.
- To edit your display name, click on the Pencil icon to the right of your display name.
- Now you can input your desired display name.
- Tap on the Enter key or click on the checkmark found on the right side of the textbox.
Congratulations! At this point, you shouldn’t have issues with changing your display name on your Windows Skype app.
Alternatively, if you don’t have the desktop app installed on your device, you can also change your Skype display name directly from the web. To do so, follow the set of instructions outlined below:
- Open your desired Web browser.
- On the search bar, type in “com” to proceed to the skype website.
- On the skype homepage, log into your account by clicking on sign-in found at the upper right corner of your screen.
- Click on the arrow beside your profile icon to reveal a drop-down menu.
- On that menu, you can either select My account, Use Skype online, and Sign out. Click on My account.
- You should find a tab on the left part of your screen. On that tab, locate and tap on Edit profile. Alternatively, you can also achieve the same results by tapping on the Edit profile found under Settings and preferences.
- Click on Edit profile This time you will find this button on the right part of your screen next to Change password.
- Input your desired display name and click on the Save button to save the changes made to your account.
If you followed the process correctly, you will be notified that your name has been modified and at this point, you will know that you have successfully learnt how to change your Skype display name.
How to Change Your Skype display name on Mac
To process involved in changing your Skype display name on Mac is not different from the steps used in changing your Skype display name on Windows PC. Hence, to learn how to change your Skype display name on Mac, follow the set of instructions outlined above.
How to Change Your Skype display name on Chromebook
Chromebook isn’t like most computers because you are not permitted to install any app of your choice except the app has been approved by Google, or the app is available on Google Play Store. Due to these limitations, you can only access skype either through the Chrome extension or the Android app.
Hence, to learn how to change your Skype display name on Chromebook, you can either follow the instructions outlined on “how to change your Skype display name on Windows PC” or the instructions outlined on “how to change your Skype display name on Android”. If you follow the instructions correctly, you shouldn’t have issues learning how to change your Skype display name on your Chromebook.
Finally, as a bonus guide, if you have a Skype for business account, you won’t be able to change both your Skype name (username) or your Skype display name. Hence trying the steps outlined above will not offer much help.
The reason for this is simple, on a Skype for business account, the account is created by the employer and given to the employees. This means that the employer has to provide all the necessary information needed to create the account and that’s why on the employee’s end they won’t be able to change their Skype name or display name. Regardless, if you’d still like to change your display name on this account type all you’ll need to do is meet a relevant member in your IT department and the changes will be made by that member for you.
Skype doesn’t allow its users to be able to change their Skype name. If you are really in need of a new skype name, it simply means that you will have to change your email address which in turn means creating a new Skype account since only one email address can be linked to a single Skype account.
Your Skype username is randomly generated and the good thing is other Skype users will not be able to see your Skype username except you. What will be visible to other Skype users will be your Skype display name so it makes more sense to change your Skype display name rather than your Skype username.