YouTube Shorts was launched in the fall of 2020 in India and since that time this feature has been rolled out in 100 other countries. To this moment, not everyone knows what YouTube Shorts is all about but not to worry in today’s guide I’ll be telling you all you need to know about this feature and also teach you how to create YouTube shorts.
What is YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts is a feature created by YouTube that lets users create vertical short videos that are 60 seconds long using their multi-segment camera on their Homepage. Youtube hopes that in the future, YouTube Shorts will be able to compete with the likes of TikTok, Instagram Reels, and Snapchat. Unlike its competitors, YouTube shorts is not a standalone app, which means that if you should search YouTube shorts on your Google PlayStore or your Apple Store, you wouldn’t find it because it’s embedded inside YouTube.
What is YouTube Shorts all about?
According to YouTube, “YouTube Shorts is a way for anyone to connect with a new audience using just a smartphone and the Shorts camera in the YouTube app.”
YouTube Shorts builds its foundation around three major areas which include Create, Get Discovered, and Watch. Continue reading to learn more about these core areas that make up YouTube Shorts.
Create: Amongst the core areas, this is the most important. With create, users will be able to easily create short-form videos. Some of the features that were tested during the beta test conducted in India under create are:
- A multi-segmented camera that’ll enable users to be able to join multiple video clips together.
- You’ll be able to control the speed of the video. The speed control gives the user a certain sense of flexibility to enable the user to improve on his/her creativity when creating shorts.
- You’d be able to record these shorts with music playing in the background. Additionally, you have the option to record the videos from YouTube’s vast library of songs.
- Finally, when you creating YouTube Shorts, there is a timer that gives users ample time to record these videos hands-free.
Get Discovered: This is another core fundamental feature of YouTube Shorts. In Get Discovered, creators will be able to learn and also connect with over 2 billion viewers. Hence, as a mobile creator, once you start uploading your YouTube Shorts videos on YouTube, you have begun your Journey to getting discovered.
Watch: In watch, you’d be able to swipe through different vertical videos and at the same time discover similar short videos to the one you are currently watching.
For now, these are the core features you should expect while using YouTube Shorts. Since YouTube Shorts is still expanding, in the future it is expected that YouTube Shorts will roll out more features.
Now you know what YouTube Shorts is and what it’s all about, let go into how to create YouTube Shorts.
How to Create YouTube Shorts
To learn how to create YouTube Shorts, follow the set of instructions outlined below:
- Open your YouTube app on your device. If you don’t have YouTube installed on your device, Andriod and iOS users can easily download it from PlayStore or Apple Store.
- On the app, tap on the Create button is the plus symbol embedded in a circle, found at the bottom of your screen.
- That action should reveal a menu. On that menu, you can either upload a video, Create a Short, and Go live. Click on Create a Short.
- For first-timers on YouTube Shorts, you’ll be required to grant the app permission to use your camera and microphone before you can proceed. Once you grant YouTube those permissions, it should land you on the YouTube Shorts recording page.
- On the page, the first thing you’d notice is that YouTube Shorts’ default length is 15 seconds. This doesn’t mean that it’s the highest you can record, you can easily edit the timing by tapping on the number 15.
- After editing the time, you can choose to increase or decrease the speed of your recording by tapping on the Speedometer icon found on the right side of your screen.
- Asides from the speed of the recording, you can also edit the camera timing by tapping on the Timer (the stopwatch icon) located at the right side of the screen, directly below the speedometer icon.
- You can also add filters to your recording. Although at the moment, this feature may not be made available to Andriod users.
- Once you have made all the necessary adjustments to suit your taste, tap on the Record Once the recording starts, tapping on the Record button before the time elapses stops the recording, and tapping it again the second time will record the next segment in the same video.
- Now you know how to create segments in YouTube Shorts, deleting segments isn’t difficult either. To do this, simply tap on the Undo (the left-facing arrow) button found at the bottom. If you do delete a segment by mistake, you can return that segment by tapping on the Redo (the right-facing arrow) button.
- When you are done with the entire recording, tap on the checkmark found at the bottom right of the page to preview your video. At this point, you can now add music, text, and even filters.
- After the preview, tap on Next. You’ll now be required to add a title. You can also edit the sharing settings and do not forget to add the “#shorts” hashtag to your title to enable YouTube to promote your video as a short and also make it possible for other users to see it as a Short video too.
- Finally, tap on Upload.
If you follow the steps listed out above properly, you shouldn’t have any problem learning how to create YouTube shorts.