In summary, if an app on your iPhone or iPad doesn’t work as expected, or they keep crashing, try this.
Close and reopen the app.
Restart your device.
Check for updates.
Delete the app, then redownload it.
Just like every other device, it’s possible for your iPhone and iPad apps to crash. Have you been having this problem? Has your favorite apps have been frequently crashing and you wish you could fix it? Then this blog post is the answer to your wishes because in today’s guide I’ll be teaching you how to fix crashing apps on iPhone & iPad.
Unlike Android devices that tell you when an app has crashed, iPhones and iPads just close the app. If you experience this, more often than usual for selected apps or all your apps whenever you open those apps, know that it’s a clear indication that the selected app or apps have crashed. Additionally, you can also experience things like freezing or buggy apps. Well, after going through the contents of this blog post, you will discover ways to fix this problem and will no longer have to Google “how to fix crashing apps on iPhone & iPad”.
How to Fix Crashing Apps on iPhone & iPad
Unfortunately, there isn’t a straightforward route to fix this problem because the reason for your app crashing may different from another iPhone or iPad user. Hence, the first step to take in order to fix this problem would be to troubleshoot the device.
1. Try Rebooting the Device
This is the first and easiest fix to try out once you notice that an app on your iPhone or iPad device has started misbehaving. In order to fix your crashing app(s) using this method, follow the set of instructions outlined below:
- Hold down your iPhone’s or iPad’s Power button until the Slide To Power Off prompt appears on your screen. For newer iPhones like the iPhone X, the step is slightly different, rather than holding down only the power button, you’d have to hold down both the Power button and either volume up or down button until the Slide to Power off prompt appears.
- Now slide to turn off the device (slide the red power icon displayed on your screen to the left).
- Wait till your device shuts down totally before you try restarting your device. To restart the device hold the power button until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
Once you have restarted your device try opening the app that was crashing before and you’d realize that you will no longer have issues while using the app. This is the easiest and quickest means to solving a crashing app problem but there are cases where simply turning your device off and on can’t solve the problem. If you have tried this fix and the app still crashes then continue reading to discover other alternatives to fixing this problem.
2. Delete And Reinstall the App(s)
This is another quick and efficient method to solving the app crashing issue. Follow the steps outlined below to learn how to fix crashing apps on iPhone & iPad by deleting and reinstalling the affected app(s).
- Locate the app’s icon from your list of apps.
- Press and hold the app for a few seconds until a menu appears.
- Once the menu appears, tap on Remove App.
- Tap on Delete App.
- Confirm by tapping on Delete again to uninstall the app.
Now you have removed the app from your device, the next step to take would be to reinstall that app, and to do this, follow the next set of instructions that’ll be provided below:
- Open the App Store on your device.
- Search for the app you uninstalled.
- Once you have found the app you are looking for, tap on the Cloud icon to the right of the app.
The app will be downloaded and reinstalled on your device. You can now easily access the app from your Home screen.
3. Try Updating The App
Sometimes updating the app can fix a crashing app. This is a good step to take If you don’t want to go as far as deleting and reinstalling the app. To learn how to fix crashing apps on iPhone & iPad using this method, follow the set of instructions outlined below:
- Open the App Store on your device.
- Tap on your Account icon (it is found at the top right corner of your screen).
- Here you’ll find a list of apps with updates available for download. Locate the affected app(s) among the list of apps.
- Tap on Update.
After a few seconds, your app should be updated and the problem will be fixed. Even though this is another good fix, sometimes you may already be using the updated version of the app and in such a case you can either try uninstalling and reinstalling the app or continue reading to learn other ways to deal with the problem.
4. Try Updating Your iPhone or iPad to its Latest Version
Sometimes, the reason why your app or apps keeps crashing may be because you are still using outdated iPhone software. To learn how to fix crashing apps on iPhone & iPad using this method, follow the set of instructions outlined below:
- Go to Settings (the gear icon) on your device.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install or Install Now.
Now sit back, relax and wait for your device to download and install the updated software. After the installation, try opening the affected app or apps and you realize that the problem has been fixed.