Google Assistant, is similar to Apple’s Siri because it lets you perform basic tasks such as setting an alarm, messaging mom, playing music and the list goes on without lifting a finger. Just like every other thing, eventually, we may get bored of the services it provides and just wishes there is a way to turn it off. For today’s I’ll be teaching you how to turn off google assistant on your android device.
Google Assistant is an artificial intelligence-powered virtual assistant developed by Google that is mostly available on mobile and smart home devices. Unlike Google Now, Google Assistant can engage in two-way conversations. Its similarity with Google Now lies with it being able to search the internet, create alarms, schedule calendar and adjust hardware settings on the user’s device.
Google Assistant is also capable of showing information from the user’s Google account. Users can primarily interact with Google Assistant through the natural voice and alternatively through keyboard input.
Assistant debuted in May 2016 as part of Google’s messaging app Allo, together with its voice-activated speaker called “Google Home”. Initially, Google Assistant was made only for Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones, and afterward, around February 2017, it rolled out on other Android devices including Wear OS and other third-party smartphones. Google Assistant was later released for the iOS operating system in May 2017.
Later in April of the same year, Google Assistant was extended to support a large variety of devices, third-party smart home appliances, and even cars. Amazingly Google Assistant gives room for its functions to be further developed by third-party developers. Google Assistant is presently available in more than 1 billion devices, in more than 90 countries, and is also available in over 30 different languages with average users of 500 users monthly.
People may want to turn off Google Assistant for various reasons which may include desiring to stop tech companies from listening in on private conversations, seeing Google Assistant as becoming too insensitive, or you may just find this feature annoying.
How to Turn Off Google Assistant on Your Android Device
For android devices that feature Google Assistant service, it is baked into the operating system of that device, and as such the AI cannot be completely removed but can only be disabled or muted.
In order to turn off Google Assistant on your device (if you are using the Google App), follow the steps below:
- Open the Google App
- Tap on More (you should find 3 vertical dots or in some devices 3 horizontal lines).
- Find and select Settings.
- Locate and tap on Google Assistant.
- On the list under devices, select Phone.
- Toggle the Google Assistant button to turn off Google Assistant on your device.
For an alternative route without having to turn off Google Assistant from the app, you can simply follow the following steps:
- Long press your Home Button. After which will activate the Google Assistant and the interface should display on your screen.
- Tap on Explore, it is found at the top right corner of the Google Assistant interface.
- Tap on More (the 3 vertical dots located at the top right corner of your screen).
- From the drop-down menu, select Settings.
- Under Devices, tap on Phone.
- Finally, toggle Google Assistant to turn off Google Assistant on your device.
If you still want to gain access to Google Assistant services but want it popping up from nowhere, deactivating the support button is the best option.
How to Turn Off Google Assistant On Your Device (Through Disabling The Support Button)
To turn off Google Assistant by disabling the support button, follow the steps outlined below:
- From your unlocked home screen, swipe down and select settings (the gear icon).
- Scroll down and select apps or applications depending on your device.
- In apps, go to Default Applications, in some devices to enter default applications you have to tap on the gear icon located at the top right corner of that screen.
- Tap on Device Assistant or in some devices, under default you’ll find “Assist & voice input”.
- Finally, select None, and Google Assistant will no longer be activated accidentally.
With the above procedures, you should be able to turn off Google Assistant on your mobile device.