This article takes you on a detailed guide on how to hard reset or factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band.
Fitbit, Inc. is an American consumer electronics and fitness company headquartered in San Francisco, California. The products Fitbit Incorporation markets include activity trackers, smartwatches, wireless-enabled wearable technology that can measure data such as heart rate, steps climbed, and other personal metrics involved in fitness.
I bet, the reason you are here is that you are wondering how to factory reset your Fitbit charge fitness band probably because you are experiencing syncing issues, your device is much slower, notification issues update issues, charging issues etc.
The Fitbit devices are so popular worldwide that they have a whopping figure of over 23.2 million active users and that is even bigger than the population of Australia. The Fitbit charge device is a smart device under the line of products called “Trackers”. Other examples of tracker-based devices include Fitbit Ace, Fitbit Inspire, Fitbit Inspire HR, Fitbit Inspire 2, Fitbit Charge 3 etc. and in this article, I’ll be showing you how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band.
The Fitbit charge device has different variants, comprising of the Fitbit charge 1, charge 2, charge 3, charge 4, charge HR and the latest charge 5.
How to Factory Reset a Fitbit Charge Fitness band (ChargeOne)
The Fitbit one device was released in November 2014 and unlike the other tracker devices, the Fitbit one doesn’t come with a factory reset option and this can pose a problem especially when the device starts acting sluggishly or it starts malfunctioning. Lucky for you, if you still own a Fitbit one device, there is a trick around it and I’ll be showing you to factory reset your Fitbit charge device.
- Connect your Fitbit one device to its charger and ensure that the gold contact at the back of the device fully connects with the contact points of the charger.
- Press and hold the button on the face of one for a little more than 10 seconds.
- Now, disconnect the Fitbit One from its power source and wait for a little before pressing the power button to turn on the device.
Once you have done the above steps correctly, your Fitbit one device would reset and start working properly as it should.
How to Factory Reset a Fitbit Charge fitness band (Charge HR)
Most times the issues you might encounter while using the Fitbit charge device can be solved by just resetting the device. You can perform this simple action by just connecting your Fitbit charge HR device to its power cable and hold the device’s lone button for a little more than 10 seconds, then the Fitbit logo and some numerical data will appear on your screen and that should do the trick. But if you are facing a more technical problem and that doesn’t solve the problem, you’ll resort to using the factory reset method. In order to learn “how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band” (in this case, HR Fitness band), follow the steps below:
- Connect your Fitbit HR device to its power cable (ensure the cable is plugged into a power source).
- Press and hold the button for two seconds.
- Immediately the battery icon appears, release and hold the button again for two seconds after which you remove the power cable.
- After the cable has been removed, continue holding the button for eight to nine seconds.
- Release, then hold for a count of eight to nine seconds again.
- Release and press again the third time, this time for another eight to nine seconds count.
If all the above instructions are carried out correctly, the tracker should display the “ERASE” word. Now, release the button and set the tracker aside for about 5 minutes to enable the tracker to wipe all previously inputted data. Now you have successfully learnt how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band.
How to Factory Reset a Fitbit Charge fitness band (Charge 2)
Before showing you how to perform a factory reset on your Fitbit charge 2 device, I’ll first and foremost show you how to perform a simple reset as this can solve some of the issues you may be having with your Fitbit 2 device such as miscounting steps, freezing etc.
In order to reset your Fitbit device, you have to place the Fitbit charge 2 device in its charging cradle and connect the USB cord to a power source. Press and hold the single button by the side of the device for about 10 to 12 seconds until the Fitbit logo pops up on your screen. Once the logo disappears, release the button and unplug the USB cable from its port. If you performed these actions properly, it should reset your device after a soft boot.
Now, sometimes the problem we face cannot be solved by mere resetting the device, this will require performing a deep cleaning on the device and this where “Factory Reset” for your Fitbit charge 2 device comes into play and I’ll be showing you how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band (Fitness charge 2).
- Connect the Fitbit charge 2 device to its power source and start holding down the single button on the side of the device.
- After two seconds, unplug the USB from its port while holding the button.
- Count eight seconds, then release the button for a second before holding it down again.
- The screen should now flash ALT, once this happens, release the button for a second before holding it down again.
- This time, the Fitbit device will vibrate, release the button for a second before holding down again for the fourth time.
- An ERROR screen should appear, release the button after you see the ERROR screen before holding it again.
- Finally, the screen should display ERASE. Once this happens let go of the button and your tracker device will be reset.
If all the actions are carried out successfully, congratulations! You have learnt how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band.
How to Factory Reset a Fitbit Charge fitness band (Charge 3)
The Fitbit Charge 3 is an upgraded version of the charge 2 and is much easier to use, so if you are experiencing any difficulty whatsoever, you can easily reset your device using the following steps below.
You can easily reset your Fitbit charge 3 from your wrist by swiping right from the lock screen to go to the Settings screen. From the settings screen scroll down, and tap on About before selecting Reboot Device. Then finally tap the checkmark and wait for the normal watch face to appear and once it does it serves as a confirmation that you have successfully performed a reset on your Fitbit Charge 3 device.
Sometimes, resetting the device while it’s on the wrist doesn’t seem to solve the problem we are experiencing. Before opting for the factory reset method, you can try resetting the device using your charging cable.
You can do this by connecting the charging cable to a UL-certified USB wall charger connecting it to a power source.
Now, place the Fitbit charge 3 in its charging cradle (ensure that the charging cable is plugged in and the pins are securely locked with the port on the back of the device).
Press the touch-sensitive button on the side of the device, once this is done the device vibrates and the face of the screen will light up.
Hold the touch-sensitive button and count eight seconds after which you must release the button. Wait for the smile icon to appear and for the tracker to vibrate.
If that happens, it serves as a confirmation that the device has been reset.
If the problem still persists after trying both methods above you can either contact customer care to report the problem better still perform a factory reset on your Fitbit Charge 3 device and I’ll showing you how to do so below:
- Swipe right from the clock face to go to the Settings
- On the settings screen, scroll down and click on About.
- Finally, select Clear User Data.
Hopefully, this should solve all the problem you may be experiencing with your Fitbit device, you have learnt how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band.
How to Factory Reset a Fitbit Charge fitness band (Charge 4)
Are you experiencing a frozen screen or any other similar feature? You can easily reset you’re your Fitbit charge 4 using the following steps:
- Plug the charging cable into a USB port on your charger connected to a power source or your laptop.
- Clip the other end of the charging cable to the tracker.
- Hold the button at the side of your tracker for 8 seconds and then release the button.
- Once a smiling icon appear followed by vibration, your device has been reset.
- Finally, unplug your tracker from the charging cable.
Now, I’ll show you how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band (charge 4).
- Attach the charging cable to your tracker and connect the other end to a USB charger or laptop.
- Now, press and hold the Power button for 2 seconds before removing the charging cable from the tracker.
- Hold the button for another 7 to 9 more seconds after removing the charging cable before letting go of the power button for a second.
- Press and hold the power button after releasing for a second, this time you’ll see ALT written on the screen of your device accompanied by a white flash, let go of the button and hold it down again after a second.
- Once the device vibrates, release the power button for another second before holding it down again for the third time.
- Once you find ERROR written on the screen of your device, release the power button for another second before holding it down.
- Finally, ERASE should pop up on the screen, you can now let go of the power button and the tracker will go off.
- Turn on your tracker by pressing the power button, if your tracker reads 0:00 after it has been turned on then you have successfully performed a factory reset on the device.
Once the above actions are carried out successfully, congratulations! You have learnt how to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band.
The Fitbit Charge 5 has not yet been released but will be released later this year (2021). Please note performing a factory reset on your device removes all user data from the device. If the above steps are carried out for any of the Fitbit charge devices you own, you should be able to factory reset a Fitbit charge fitness band.