Facebook-owned and popular cross-platform messaging and Voice over IP (VoIP) service, Whatsapp earlier this month started rolling out the Disappearing message updates to a number of users across the globe. The update is now available to everyone using the cross-platform messaging and Voice over IP (VoIP) service. Here, we will be guiding you through how you can enable, activate, and disable or activate the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature.
First off, what does the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature mean for you as a user? WhatsApp disappearing messages is a new feature that allows you to share your fleeting thoughts with your friends and families. It is similar to the disappearing tweets feature which Twitter tested, but was received with backlash.
Not to be confused with Whatsapp status which only lasts for a period of one day, the WhatsApp disappearing messages allows you to enable disappearing messages on chat conversations between friends and families, to automatically delete messages after seven days. With this feature activated, conversations including texts, photos, and videos you have with friends and families will automatically disappear in one week, but there is a catch.
What you need to know about WhatsApp disappearing messages
If you must know, WhatsApp disappearing messages isn’t available on available in the general Whatsapp setting. What this means is that one would have to activate the feature on an individual or group chat basis. This can be done on the contact section of each of your contacts- read on for more on that.
It is important to note that messages or conversations you have had with your contact won’t be affected after you enable the WhatsApp disappearing messages features. You or your contact can turn on the feature. Either way, conversation on both ends will disappear after 7 days. However, it is possible to take screenshots or just simply copy messages before they’re automatically deleted.
Aside from Text chats/conversations, the media – photos, and videos you receive in WhatsApp will also go into thin air once the feature is activated for a contact. However, such media can be accessed on your pho media folder for those who have the automatic media download enabled. And if you do not have it enabled, you can turn auto-download off in WhatsApp Settings > Data and Storage Usage.
A few more things to note
As noted by Whatsapp,
- Received messages will still disappear in the event a user doesn’t open or view the messages in 7 days. However, the preview of the message might still be displayed in notifications until WhatsApp is opened, but that will definitely go into thin air once opened
- When you reply to a message, the initial message is quoted. If you reply to a disappearing message, the quoted text might remain in the chat after seven days.
- If a disappearing message is forwarded to a chat with disappearing messages off, the message won’t disappear in the forwarded chat.
- If a user creates a backup before a message disappears, the disappearing message will be included in the backup. Disappearing messages will be deleted when a user restores from a backup.
How to turn WhatsApp disappearing messages on or off
The disappearing messages feature is already available globally. It is not enabled by default, and most importantly, you won’t get to see the feature unless you are using the most recent Whatsapp version for Android, iOS, and Kaios. So Android and iOS users are advised to check out for versions 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199. respectively.
Turn on and Turn off WhatsApp disappearing messages – WhatsApp for Android
Locate and click on your WhatApp messenger app
Click to open your preferred WhatsApp contact name
Tap on the three dots located on the upper right-hand corner
Click on View Contact
Scroll down and click on the **Disappearing Messages feature.
Disappearing Messages feature is available only on the latest version of WhatsApp for Android
The feature is disabled by default.
Tap On to enable this feature.
You’ll have to enable this feature individually for each chat. Once you do, your messages will automatically be deleted after seven days. The feature is also available for Group chats where it can only be enabled by the group Admin.
Turn on and Turn off disappearing messages in a group
- Open the WhatsApp group chat.
- Tap the group name or the three dots at the upper right-hand corner
- Click on Disappearing Messages.
- proceed to Select On.
Enable disappearing messages on iPhone
Much like Android users, WhatsApp disappearing messages is also available to iPhone users. The feature is also available on an individual chat basis, while group admins can likewise turn on or turn off the feature. To turn on to turn off the feature on your iPhone:
- Open the WhatsApp chat.
- Tap the contact’s name.
- Tap on contact info
- Tap Disappearing Messages.
- If prompted, tap Continue.
- Select On
How to Turn off disappearing messages on WhatsApp on Android, iOS, and Web
Turning off the disappearing messages on WhatsApp is quite easy, as it requires the same process of turning it on. To turn off the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature, simply;
- Open a WhatsApp chat
- Tap on the contact’s name
- Tap on Disappearing messages
- Click on “Off”
- For group, open a group chat, tap on the group name
- Tap on Disappearing messages
- Click on “Off”
If you own a KaiOS device, you can turn on or turn off the Disappearing messages feature by;
- Opening a WhatsApp chat
- Tap on options
- Click on View Contact, and then OK.
- Then select disappearing messages > EDIT.
- If prompted, press Next > OK. and select ON > OK.
We tried the Disappearing messages feature on both Android and iOS devices, and we found out that your contact will be notified when the feature is enabled.