Sometimes having children doesn’t necessarily translate to being a great parent. Being strict doesn’t equally guarantee amazing kids. The success of any parent also has a long way to go in monitoring their affairs. These include their social lives amongst other activities. so you’ve recently gotten an android device for your kids and you’re scared as to what they may use this device for. The good news of this is that android has got you covered. This guide would walk you through how to enable parental control on android.
Parental control is a feature usually included in digital gadgets. these digital devices include televisions, computers, video games, mobile devices, and some software. Parental control allows parents to restrict their kids from having access to various contents. Parental controls come in handy in a number of ways. The Parental control function helps in monitoring emails, social media profiles, texts, and other mobile functions.
It’s very important for every parent or guardian to give an android device to their ward to know how to enable parental control on Android devices. Apart from mobile devices being a means of communication, these devices’ Android devices are really amazing. They serve as companionship to kids, educational resource finder amongst a host of other positives. However, while your kids are learning or trying to make friends online, there is no guarantee that they’re getting it done the best way possible.
As a parent, you can do your part by keeping tabs on their activities if you know how to enable parental control on android. With the steps below, you’ll be able to easily control what your kids do on their android devices.
Set a Security Lock
Even if you’re not setting up parental controls on Android phones or tablets, it is always advised to use a security lock on your devices. This would serve as protection if your device gets stolen or falls into the wrong hands. Just in case you’re unaware of how to get this done, here is a guide on how to set up security on your android device. Follow the steps below;
- From the “app drawer”, tap on the “Settings” icon.
- In your device settings, tap on “Security” or “Security and Screen Lock”. Depending on your device and Operating system.
- Under “device security”, tap on “Screen Lock”.
- you will then be required to choose between a Pattern, PIN, or Password.
- Select a choice, add, and confirm your security measure.
Now the device is secured from unauthorized access. Now you can go ahead to set up parental controls.
How to Set up Child Account on Android
On most devices, the main user account is required. However, Android devices are no exception. On any android device you’re giving your kids, you might want to set yourself as the primary user and create Restricted accounts for your children. Here’s a guide to setting this up.
- On your device, swipe down from the top and select the “Settings” icon. It is mostly a gear icon located at the top.
- From the device Settings menu, you will see an option to Add Users.
- You will be required to select this as a “User” or “Restricted Profile” account.
- Select the “Restricted Profile”. If you don’t have a screen lock enabled on your device, you will be required to do that. Follow the steps above to set it up.
- Once the “Restricted Profile” has been fully set up, you’ll see it listed at the top of your screen.
To access it, simply click on the settings icon to the right of the New Profile you just created it to rename the Restricted Profile
Under the newly created Restricted user account you just created, you’ll find a list of available apps and functions on the device. This includes Location Settings, Browser, even Games. simply select “On” or “Off” for those applications you wish to allow or restrict, your child from having access to.
Hey, at this point, if you’re still on this page, it means you’ve not found the function to add multiple user accounts on your device. This is probably because the function was removed from android 8 and later. However, you can easily use parental control on android using Google Play.
How to Enable Parental Control on Android using Google Play
The way parental controls work differs across Apps & Games, Music, Movies, TV, and Books on an android device. Setting up parental control for devices with multiple user accounts could also be managed from these individual accounts. On user accounts, the Parental controls activated only for the particular Android device set them on. So if you have to enable parental control on another device, you’ll need to repeat the steps below on the other device. However, If you have multiple users on a single device, you can set up parental controls and restrictions differently for each user. Additionally, The person who enabled parental controls would be required to create a PIN that would be needed to remove or change the parental control settings.
How to Set up parental controls on user Accounts
To set up parental controls on a device, with multiple user accounts, do the following;
- Tap to open the Play Store app On the device you want to enable parental controls on.
- From the top left corner of your device, tap on “Menu”. It is the three stacked parallel lines.
- Now tap on “Settings”
- Scroll down and tap on “Parental controls”.
- Tap on the toggle beside “Parental Controls are off” to Turn on Parental Controls.
- You’ll get a pop up asking you to “Create a PIN” type a four-digit pin. This pin prevents anyone without the knowledge of this pin from changing your parental control settings. So If you want to enable parental control on your child’s device, make use of a PIN they’re not familiar with.
- Retype the pin to confirm your action.
- Tap on the “Apps & Games” to select the type of content you want to filter.
- Choose the most suitable filter to restrict access to that content.
After setting up parental control on android, you can turn them on or off. If you turn them off and on, when you turn them back on and create a new PIN, your old settings would be recovered. This allows a child to share a device with someone who doesn’t need parental controls.
How to Set up parental controls on user Accounts with Family link
Family Link is a parental control app designed by Google for Android devices. The app allows parents to block adult content and manage other apps across all registered devices. For those who use the Family link, enabled Parental controls applies across all Android devices where your child’s google account is signed in to. A parent in the family group is required to use their Google Account password to set up or change their child’s parental control settings. So if you want your child’s Google Account managed with Family Link, you can set up parental controls for them using the steps below;
- Tap to Open the Family Link app if you have it installed. Else, download it from the Google Play store.
- Tap on “Get started”.
- Select if that device would be used by a parent of a child. If that is the device you’ll use to control the child’s activities, tap on parents, else tap on “children”.
- Follow prompts to set up children’s accounts.
- Now, Select your child.
- Tap on “Manage settings”
- Tap on “Controls on Google Play”.
- Select the type of content you want to filter for your child.
- Choose how you want to filter or restrict their access to such content.
Additionally, just in case you don’t have access to your mobile device at any instance, you can easily manage your child’s account by clicking on your child’s name after opening families.google.com on a browser. Also, Parental controls don’t prevent kids from seeing restricted content as a search result or through a direct link. So sometimes, an eagles eye is expected.
Disable Unnecessary apps
Additionally, If your child is the only user of the Android device, you have the option of disabling apps directly on the device. This would stop them from seeing a system app that can’t be uninstalled. Simply follow the steps below to disable unnecessary apps;
- Open the device Settings.
- Tap on “Apps” from the device settings.
- Tap on the app you wish to disable.
- You should see an option to “Uninstall” it at the upper right-hand corner of the screen. however, if it’s a system app, you’ll find the “disable” button.
- Tap on “disable”.
Viola, you have successfully managed your kids’ device