A Gmail account is a free email account developed and managed by Google. The benefits of having an email address can never be overemphasized. Currently, there’s hardly a form, either official or not that could be filled without a field for an email address. Emails are also amazing at keeping communication with loved ones alive. An email service such as Gmail handles the process of sending and receiving electronic messages over a secured communication network called the internet.
With a Gmail account, you can send and receive emails from any and every email service on the internet. You can easily handle registrations, verifications, start and keep up with existing conversations, and a host of other important activities that can be handled with email service.
However helpful your Gmail account can be, sometimes, you just feel fed up and want to do away with the account for unique reasons. Maybe you’ve added your mail to a wrong directory, receiving a lot of spam mails, experiencing a security leak, for some illegal reasons, or even to end a connection with someone or a group of persons. Irrespective of your reasons, this guide would walk you through the steps on how to delete your Gmail account.
The Gmail service was Developed by Google years ago to help users utilize a single account across all Google’s services. Any Gmail user can access their emails on the web using a browser, through the native Gmail apps available across several operating systems and using third-party programs that synchronize email content through POP or IMAP protocols. With a Gmail account on some devices, you can even join or start a video meeting in Google Meet right from Gmail. You can also quickly organize and find important emails, as well as read and draft emails.
Traditionally, a Gmail account is considered as a Google Account. However, deleting a Gmail account does not delete the entire Google Account the address is associated. You will still have access to all other Google Account services. While deleting your account, Gmail would require an alternate email address to use to sign in to the Google Account in the future.
How to delete Gmail account
If you still want to delete any Gmail account, you’ll have to be on a browser. So, open any browser of your choice, preferably on PC and follow the steps below;
- on your browser, go to Google.com and sign in to your Gmail account if you’re not signed in.
- to sign in, click on the blue “Sign In” button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- From the google accounts sign-in page, input your Gmail address and password.
- Click on Sign in. you’ll now be redirected to Google.com
- Click on the grid icon at the top right-hand corner beside your picture.
- From the list of icons, click on “Account.”
- In your “Google Account page”, click on “Privacy & personalization” from the row at the left of the page.
- Scroll down to ” Download, delete, or make a plan for your data” section and click on “Delete a service or your account.”
- From the “Delete a service or your account” page, click on “Delete a product” link under the “Delete a Google service” section.
- Input your password to verify you’re the one undertaking this step.
- Click on “Download Data” to save any important information from being permanently erased. However, this is optional and might consume much data. Do not attempt it if you’re on a limited connection.
- Next, click on the trash can icon next to “Gmail.”
- Input an alternative email address. This should be an email address you have access to; you will need it to continue deleting your account. Additionally, you can’t use a Gmail address for this step.
- After entering the email address, click on “Send Verification Email.”
- Now, log in to the email alternate email address you used above, Open the email from Google.
- Click on the deletion link in the message.
- You might be required to log into the Gmail account you want to delete once more.
- Now, select the”Yes, I want to delete TheMailToDelete@gmail.com.”
- After that, Click on “Delete Gmail.”
- Finally, click on the “Done” button.
At this point, your Gmail Address would be successfully deleted your Gmail account. Additionally, deleting a Gmail account is permanent. Immediately you delete a Gmail account, all of your emails and account settings will be erased. This means you won’t be able to use your Gmail address to send or receive emails, and the address will not be made available for anyone else to use in the future.
However, If you use Gmail through your work, school, or other groups, you’ll need to contact your administrator. The administrator of the account is the only one who can delete the Gmail account.