Wish to know how to reset an Alexa device? Your guide to resetting available Alexa devices is here. No matter how amazing a gadget is, its prone to errors and malfunctions. Most of which can be easily be fixed by hitting reset. However, the reset buttons aren’t placed in plain sight or at easy reach positions to avoid users hitting reset erroneously. Alexa is a virtual assistant AI technology developed by Amazon. The various Echo devices run on the Alexa AI technology and use speech recognition to perform an ever-growing list of tasks on command.
Alexa is simply the built-in brains of the Echo devices and is the thing that makes them work. Her real smarts are on the Internet and in the cloud-computing service run by Amazon. These Alexa devices are amazing as they can stream music on demand, control smart gadgets, order items from online stores, and even integrate with IFTTT. Additionally, there are lots of third-party skills that can make Alexa devices even more useful. However, the Google Home is less expensive when compared to the Amazon Echo products while the Google home sells for about $129, the Amazon Echo goes for about $179.99. seeing this, a user might wish to change their Virtual Assistant. A change of device ownership has never been a wrong idea.
At some point, the need to upgrade or even downgrade an electronic device. Sadly, hardware cant undergo downgrades and upgrades like the software they would require a total replacement, and it is never ideal selling out a device with your data and configurations. So, if you wish to reset an Alexa device because its malfunctioning or you are done with it, here is your guide.
We’ve observed that the steps to resetting an Alexa device vary depending on the Alexa device in question. while it’s also possible to reset most Alexa devices right from the app, some are necessarily done on the hardware. Well with this being said, let us look into how to reset Alexa devices.
How to reset Echo and Echo Dot (first-gen models)
The Amazon Echo and Echo Dot are Smart Speakers although the Echo Dot is a hockey puck-shaped smart speaker and a more compact version of the original Amazon Echo. You can use voice commands on both devices through an Alexa personal assistant to answer questions, play the news, play music, and carry out hundreds of tasks. The Amazon Echo and Echo Dot are very easy to reset. The steps to reset the Alexa echo device is outlined below;
- Look for the small hole near the base of your device. That is the reset button.
- When you see it take a pin, sim tool, or something similar, insert and hold the Reset button until the Echo’s light ring turns orange, then blue.
- After the light ring has turned off and on it should display orange indicating it is in setting up mode.
- Kudos, you’ve completed resetting it. If you want to add it back to your network, simply open the Alexa app and follow the steps to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and register it to your Amazon account.
How to reset Echo and Echo Dot (second-gen models)
Although the first and second generation of Amazon echo and echo dot devices have similarities, the steps for resetting an Amazon Echo and Echo Dot devices are a little different with each generation. For the second-gen, here’s what you need to do to reset the Alexa device:
- Tap and hold the microphone off and volume down buttons on your device for about 20 seconds. The light ring should turn orange, and then briefly blue.
- After the light ring turns off and on again it should be orange, which indicates it is in setup mode.
- Reset completed and just as it works with the first-generation model if you want to add it back to your network simply open your Alexa app and follow the steps to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and register it to your Amazon account.
How to reset Echo and Echo Dot (third-gen models)
The 3rd generation of Amazon Echo and Echo Dot spiced up their looks more than the older generations. It also added some more cool features to the Virtual Assistant capabilities. Additionally, the steps required to reset it changed significantly. Want to reset the Echo or Echo Dot product? Here’s the guide you need to help you to reset it:
- Simply tap and hold the action button (found on top) for about 25 seconds. The light ring should now turn orange and then switch briefly to blue.
- Simply wait for the light ring to get turned on and off again. It should then be orange, and therefore it’s reset and in setup mode.
- If you want to add it back to your network simply open the Alexa app and follow the steps to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and register it to your Amazon account.
How to factory reset Alexa smart displays like the Echo Show
The Alexa Smart displays are smart speakers having touch screens attached to them. They offer the same hands-free voice assistant features like other smart speakers like the Amazon Echo and Echo dot. They also allow you to play music, check the weather, and control your smart home devices just by talking. You can even make voice calls, send messages, or instantly connect to other devices in your home to make a quick announcement or check in on your kids. If you have an Alexa Echo Show or similar display-based product, the reset process is pretty simple and the same. Follow the steps below to reset it;
- Tap and hold the Mute and Volume buttons located at the top of the device. You should see the Amazon logo after about 15 seconds. Once the amazon logo appears, you can let go of those buttons.
- The screen on your device should display some instructions for you to want to add it to your existing network or a new one.
How to reset Alexa devices from the Amazon Alexa app
Finally, If the above methods don’t work for you or you’re using a third-party Alexa device and you’re unable to figure out the reset steps for the device, it’s possible to reset an Alexa device right from the app. If you don’t have the Alexa app on your device, you can download it from these links for Android Devices or iOS devices. Here a guide on how to reset your Alexa device.
- Open the Alexa app on your device and press the Devices button at the lower right corner.
- Tap on Echo & Alexa, and select the specific device you wish to reset.
- Locate where it indicates “Device is registered to” and tap on “Deregister”. Confirm your choice by tapping on “Deregister” in the next window that pops up.
- The process should begin and in a while and when it is done you have reset the Echo or Alexa device.