In need of the perfect steps to erasing your details from eBay? Here is a guide on how to cancel an eBay account and clear all data and activity related to the account. Canceling or deleting your eBay account wipes all data on that account from the eBay database including your login details. However, there are still traces of such accounts as your details are not erased. Before anyone can make use of the eBay service, creating an account is required on the platform. This isn’t difficult aside from the fact that creating an account on eBay is entirely free for every internet user. eBay is an e-commerce platform known for auctions and consumer to consumer sales.
It is one of the first-ever existing eCommerce websites and was launched in 1995. It also shares its place as one of the top popular platforms for online merchants to sell and buy legal items. On eBay, a seller lists an item, adds photos, and a description of the item, adds a price and other shipping options. A buyer can make a bid on it or simply buy it using the “Buy it Now” option. When a purchase is been made, the buyer makes payments via any of the different payment options, and the seller ships it to that buyer.
However, details of all transactions on both buyer’s and sellers’ accounts are kept long after the transactions have ended. Factually, these records are never deleted. However to do away with them easily, simply cancel your account, and here is a guide on how to cancel eBay account. The steps to canceling an eBay account are quite lengthy. It requires a lot of confirmation and once you complete the confirmation steps, it would take 30 days, or more, to fully close your account if it’s in good standing and there are no outstanding balances or pending transactions on the account.
How to Cancel eBay Account
With the following steps, canceling your eBay account should be work over on your PC.
- Using a browser of your choice, go to ebay.com and log into the account to be canceled if you’re logged in then you’re good to go.
- Hover your cursor over your name at the top-left hand corner of the browser window and click “Account settings” from the drop-down menu.
- If necessary, click the “Account” tab, and then under “Account preferences” click on the “Close account” button.
- You’re free to read through or just scroll to the bottom of the article and click the blue “Close account and delete my data” button.
- Form the list of options in the drop-down menu, choose your reason for wanting to close your eBay account.
- Select a more specific reason from the second list of options given and then click on the “Continue” button.
- Confirm you are sure you want to cancel your account by selecting the “No, please close my account” option from the drop-down menu, and once again, click on the “Continue” button.
- Tick the checkbox next to “I read and understand the above information” and click on “Continue.”
- Your account deletion process would commence and should be completed in 30 days.
Note: eBay warns you, severally during this process because all data linked to that account would be permanently lost. Canceling your eBay account means that you won’t have access to your sales history and you’ll not be able to sell items on eBay. Additionally, you’ll not be able to use the email address associated with that account on eBay again. eBay won’t even allow you to reopen your account with that email once it’s been closed.
eBay also notes that it can’t close an account and/or delete associated data if:
- Your account has an outstanding balance
- You have pending transactions (i.e. open bids, pending payments, outstanding payouts to be processed to your bank account or pending status if you’re a managed payments seller)
- Data related to an account needs to be retained to detect, prevent, mitigate, or investigate fraudulent or illegal activities
- Data related to an account needs to be retained for a purpose required by applicable law
- There is a public health issue
- A subpoena or other court or legal order compelling eBay to retain certain data is in place
And just in case you need to delete the eBay account of a deceased friend or family member, eBay recommends that you please contact its help team for help on closing the account of a deceased eBay member.