Last Updated on
So you’re tired of your Reddit account and you don’t feel comfortable leaving everything you posted out there? Here’s a quick guide on how to delete your Reddit account and posting history. Reddit is a social news platform that allows its users to discuss various things. The platform also features voting on content created by other users. Its members submit contents like links, text posts, and images to the site. These contents are then voted up or down by other members.
Users earn karma from their comments and links being up-voted by others in the community. Karma was introduced by Reddit to monitor the site’s activities and prevent spammers from bombarding readers. Anyways, if you’re trying to delete a Reddit account and its posting history, I’m guessing you already know much about the platform. So without wasting time, the guide below should help.
How to delete your Reddit account
If you’re seeing this, I guess you are ready to delete your account. Deleting an account on Reddit is known as Deactivating it and this is how to deactivate a Reddit account.
- Using a web browser of choice, open Reddit on your Mac or PC.
- If you aren’t already signed in, click on the “Log in” button at the top-right hand of the web page.
- In the pop up that loads, input your correct login details. You can also log in with your Google or Apple ID. You should be redirected back to the homepage once you’re signed in.
- At the top right-hand corner of your screen, there’s an icon you may or may not have customized. It is beside the eCoin button. Click on the arrow next to the icon to reveal a dropdown menu.
- Under the “My Stuff” category, select the “User Settings” option.
- You’ll be taken to the “Account” tab in settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on the red “Deactivate Account” link.
- You’ll get a prompt asking if you want to deactivate your account. Simply accept it.
- That’s it, your Reddit account has now been successfully deactivated.
However, after deactivating a Reddit account, previous posts don’t go hidden as other social networks do. You might need to delete any post you don’t want to remain on the Reddit account.
How to Delete Comments and Posts from Reddit
On Reddit, although your username would not be attached to anything you posted after your account is fully deactivated, the post content would still be there. Other Reddit users would still be able to comment or vote on that content. So if you don’t want the content on the platform entirely, you might want to delete it individually. You can delete individual posts from your history to rid your account of that post.
To delete a post, you’ll need to do such from your profile and this must be done before you deactivate your account.
- On your web browser, open Reddit using your Mac or PC.
- Sign in, if you’re not already logged in.
- At the top-right-hand corner of your screen, there’s a Reddit avatar you may or may not have changed.
- Click on the arrow beside the icon to reveal a dropdown menu.
- From the drop-down, within the “My Stuff” category, click on “My Profile” option.
- Like every other social media platform, you should be able to see all comments and posts.
- Scroll through to the post you want to delete, clicking on the three dots beside the post. You should see the option to delete it.
- Continue scrolling and deleting all contents you want to delete.
When you finish deleting all the posts, your presence on Reddit should have been completely wiped away. Cheers!