Last Updated on
So your zoom Meeting was meant to be private but you’ve been zoom bombed. Having unnecessary participants joining the meeting. Worse still, you’re unaware of How to Change Your Personal Meeting ID (PMI) in Zoom. Welcome, This step by step guide is for you.
Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing service where you can meet with other people virtually. Meetings on zoom can either be by video or audio-only or both. On Zoom, users can decide to record sessions, collaborate on projects, and share their screens with other users on the conversation, all on the easy-to-use platform. Zoom offers quality video, audio, and a wireless screen-sharing performance across various platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Zoom Rooms, and others.
However awesome the benefits of this platform, sometimes it could become annoying when uninvited persons join a private conversation. The Private Meeting ID (PMI) is a 10-digit number automatically assigned to a user when they create an account. It is the users’ private Zoom room and should never be used for business or scheduled meetings. For security reasons, users are advised to use a Zoom meeting ID. The Zoom Meeting ID is a nine-digit number generated whenever a new meeting is created. So let’s say you’ve mistakenly given out your Private Meeting ID, this guide would help you change your PMI in Zoom.
How to change your Personal Meeting ID on Zoom
Changing your Personal Meeting ID in zoom is easy. Can be done using the steps below;
- On your Mac or PC, open the Zoom website using any browser of your choice.
- Login with your correct credentials.
- Click on “My Account” at the top-right corner of your screen to head to your account details.
- The first tab open should be your Profile Settings. Your “Personal Meeting ID” should be directly under your name and profile picture.
- Click on the “Edit” option on the right side of this section.
- This will highlight the Meeting ID. If you’ve upgraded your subscription to a paid zoom plan, you’ll be able to change this to your preferred combination.
- Tick the checkbox to ensure this is used for all instant meetings.
- Click “Save Changes.” And your Personal Meeting ID would be changed successfully.
Note: If you haven’t upgraded your account, you won’t be able to change your ID. To upgrade your account, locate the Billing section by clicking on “Account Management” under “Admin”. Click on the “Upgrade Account” button and follow the instructions to upgrade your account.
It is also advisable to treat your Zoom Personal Meeting ID as a password. Don’t paste it everywhere or for everyone. Also, don’t use a Personal Meeting ID strings that are easy to guess. Remember, someone could easily join your meeting if they have your PMI or guessed it. So, if unwanted persons have their hands on your PMI and don’t have access to your account information, you should change your PMI. While trying to change your Zoom Personal Meeting ID, it’s necessary to note that Zoom has some rules on using specific strings for your PMI.
Zoom doesn’t allow you to do any of the following:
- Start your PMI with a 0 or 1
- Use these toll-free number prefixes for your PMI: 800, 400, 888, 887, 877, 866, 855, 850, 803, 804, 807, 808, 809, 660, 508, 900, 200, 300, 500, 600, 700
- Repeat 3-digit groups such as 828 828 828x or 555 666 777x
- Use the same digits: 333 333 3333
- Use a number more than five times in a row: 777 77x xxxx
- Use sequential numbers: 234 567 8901
- Use existing meeting IDs
So, if you want your PMI private or someone you don’t want to have a hold of your Zoom account’s PMI, this guide has shown a way out.