Prolific smartphone maker Xiaomi just announced a new budget smartphone in Indonesia. Dubbed the Redmi 8A Pro, the new entrant is basically a rebranded Redmi 8A dual launched a while ago. It is specific to the Indonesian market where it is immediately available for sale through the company’s official website in that country. It comes in in Blue, Gray, and White color options, and has a starting price of IDR1,549,000 (€85/$93) for the 2GB/16GB variant, while the version with 3GB/32GB storage space is priced at IDR1,649,000 (€91/$99).
As expected, the Redmi 8A Pro packs the same specs as well as the same design with the Redmi 8A dual launched earlier this year. It gets the same Aura XGrip Design texture complete with a dual-camera setup on the rear panel, while it is fronted by a 6.22″ HD+ LCD protected by Gorilla Glass 5. Sadly, the device, much like the Redmi 8A Dual does not feature a fingerprint scanner
Under the hood, the device is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 439 chipset and comes in two memory/storage options – a 2GB or 3GB of RAM and 16GB or 32GB storage. It has a triple-slot opening, which means it gets two nano-SIM slots and a dedicated MicroSD card slot for expansion up to 512GB.
On the camera front, the Redmi 8A Pro features an 8-megapixel shooter for selfies coupled with a 13-megapixel rear camera along with a secondary 2-megapixel shooter. It comes with Google lens and Portrait mode and is capable of Full HD video at 30 FP.
The Redmi 8A Pro is powered by a 5,000mAh battery, which, perhaps, is by far one of its major selling points. It supports with 18W fast charging via USB Type-C port and also comes with support for reverse charging. It should be noted, however, that the device only comes with a 10W charger in the box. It boots Android 10 with MIUI 11 out of the box, while it supports face recognition technology.
Redmi 8A Pro specifications
- 6.22-inch (1520 × 720 pixels) HD+ 19:9 2.5D curved glass display with 70.8% NTSC color gamut, 15001 contrast ratio, 270 PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core (Quad 1.95GHz Cortex A53 + Quad 1.45GHz Cortex A53) Snapdragon 439 Mobile Platform with Adreno 505 GPU
- 2GB / 3GB LPDDR3 RAM with 32GB eMMC 5.1 storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 11
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- 13MP rear camera with LED flash, f/2.2 aperture, 2MP secondary camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 8MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Splash resistant (P2i coating)
- 3.5mm audio jack, Wireless FM Radio
- Dimensions: 156.48×75.41×9.4mm; Weight: 188g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n with VoWiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 5000mAh (typical) battery with 18W fast charging