Last Updated on
Facebook has today officially released the Facebook Messenger Desktop App for Windows and Mac. The App which first became official at the F8 conference last year is today gaining widespread rollout. The timely release of the Facebook Messenger Desktop App for Windows and Mac OS isn’t unconnected with the surge in the need to work remotely from home, and the attendant increase in the use of remote apps for video and conference calls in a World ravaged by the COVID-19 Pandemic.
For those seeking a better alternative to apps like ZOOM, the Facebook Messenger Desktop App for Windows and Mac OS comes handy. Immediately available for download via the Microsoft Store or the Mac App Store, the standalone Facebook Messenger Desktop App for Windows and Mac OS works pretty much like the Web version, with support for messaging and group video calls. Its only limitation, however, is that unlike the popular ZOOM app which supports up to 500 participants, it is limited to a maximum of 8 participants.
Other than that, the new App also does not allow you easily share a URL that lets other people join a call, so it’s not useful for public webinars or social events. More worrisome is that it also does not allow Screensharing – a feature offered by ZOOM that allows participants to share their screen at the same time.
Facebook has this to say;
Now more than ever, people are using technology to stay in touch with the people they care about, even when physically apart. Over the past month, we saw more than a 100% increase in people using their desktop browser for audio and video calling on Messenger. Now with apps for MacOS and Windows, the best of Messenger is coming to desktop, including unlimited and free group video calls.”
Here are some of the exciting features:
- Group video calls on a larger screen. Stay in touch with family and friends, join a workout, or host a virtual happy hour.
- Easy to connect. You don’t need to know someone’s email or phone number since all your Facebook friends have Messenger.
- Multitasking. Your chats are easily accessible, and you can pop in and out of the app while doing other things on your computer.
- Notifications. You can receive notifications for new messages, so you can quickly find the chat you’re looking for. But you’re in control — you can choose to mute and snooze notifications.
- Chats sync across mobile and desktop. You’ll never miss a call or message no matter what device you’re using.
- Everything you love about Messenger on a bigger screen. Including Dark Mode and GIFs.