Last Updated on
The Redmi Note 9 series is officially here. Xiaomi India at a launch event held earlier today in the country announced two variants of the Note 9 series – the budget Redmi Note 9 Pro, and the Redmi Note 9 Pro Max. The two new Redmi devices, much like the previous generation of the Redmi smartphones strike a good balance between price, performance, and features.
These devices come with significant design upgrades over the Redmi Note 8 series and are both identical in terms of look, though with some differences under the hood.
In terms of design, the Redmi Note 9 Pro gets quad rear cameras setup and hole-punch display for a single front snapper. Available in “Aura Balance” Design along with a P2i splash-proof coating, the Redmi Note 9 Pro has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner, a 3.5mm audio jack, an IR blaster, USB-C, NavIC support, as well as a Gorilla Glass 5 Protection on both sides. The device also features a hepatic feedback system that uses a “z-axis motor” for better haptic feedback. In fact, the firm says it supports over 150 actions, such as scrolling, SMS, typing, emails, and more.
On the display front, the Redmi Note 9 and the Redmi Note 9 Pro Max both come fitted with a 6.67-inch FHD+ LCD screen with a center-mounted punch-hole cutout. Both devices, sadly, lack a high refresh rate that has become the norm recently. Instead, Xiaomi is sticking to the 60Hz refresh rate on both phones. The punch hole for the Note 9 Pro MAX has a 32MP shooter, while the standard Redmi Note 9 Pro has a 16Mp shooter.
And much like most recent flagships and budget devices, the Redmi Note 9 series comes with a Quad-camera system on the back panel. For the Note 9 Pro Max, you get a 64MP main camera, 8MP ultra-wide camera (119-degree field of view), 5MP macro shooter (2cm focus), and a 2MP depth sensor. Onboard the device is a RAW photography and a Color Pro mode which automatically adjusts the parameters in the RAW shot. In terms of videos, it supports 4K video recording at 30fps and a dedicated mode for 21:9 cinematic capturing.
The Note9 Pro, on the other hand, gets a 48MP Samsung ISOCELL Bright GM2 as the primary camera, a 16MP in-display selfie camera, while three other cameras on the rear panel are the same with the Redmi Noye 9 Pro Max.
Under the hood, the Note 9 Pro Max and the Pro model pack an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G SoC with up to 8GB LPDDR4X RAM, 64GB and 128GB of UFS 2.1 internal storage options that both are expandable via microSD card (up to 512GB) through a dedicated slot. Both devices come packed with a 5020mAh battery cells with 18W fast charge for the Redmi Note 9 Pro, while the Note 9 Pro Max gets a higher 33W fast charge. These devices are dual SIM enabled and boot Android 10 with MIUI 11 out of the box.
Redmi Note 9 Pro Price & Availability
The Redmi Note 9 Pro will go on sale in India from March 17th via Mi.com, Amazon India, and all Mi Stores, while the Note 9 Pro Max will be available starting March 25th through the same channels.
Both devices come in Interstellar Black, Aurora Blue, and Glacier White color options starting at Rs. 12,999 and Rs. 14,999 for the Note 9 Pro and the Note 9 pro Max respectively.
Redmi Note 9 Pro Max Pricing
- 6GB + 64GB: ₹14,999 (~$200)
- 6GB + 128GB: ₹16,999 (~$230)
- 8GB + 6128GB: ₹18,999 (~$255)
The two variant of the Redmi Note 9 Pro will be available at the following prices:
- 4GB + 64GB: ₹12,999 (~$175)
- 6GB + 128GB: ₹15,999 (~$215)
Redmi Note 9 Pro and Note 9 Pro Max specifications
- 6.67-inch (2400 × 1080 pixels) 20:9 Full HD+ LCD DotDisplay with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 720G 8nm Mobile Platform (Dual 2.3GHz Kryo 465 A76 + Hexa 1.8GHz Kryo 465 A55 CPUs) with Adreno 618 GPU
- 6GB / 4GB LPPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 6GB / 8GB (LPPDDR4x) RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- Android 10 with MIUI 11
- 64MP Samsung GW1 sensor with f/1.89 aperture in Redmi Note 9 Pro Max, (48MP Samsung ISOCELL GM2 with f/1.79 aperture in Note 9 Pro), PDAF, EIS, 0.8μm pixel size, LED flash, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide-angle lens, 5MP 2cm macro lens, 2MP depth sensor, 4k 30 fps video recording
- 32MP (Pro Max) / 16MP (Pro) front camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio, dual microphones
- Splash-proof (P2i coating)
- Dimensions: 165.7×76.6×8.8mm; Weight: 209g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, VoWiFi, Bluetooth 5, GPS, NavIC, USB Type-C
- 5020mAh battery with 18W fast charging in Note 9 Pro and 33W fast charging in Pro Max