Last Updated on
The 2020 generation of the Galaxy S lineup of smartphones – the Galaxy S20 is finally upon us. Samsung mobile announced the S20 yesterday at its unpacked event in San Francisco USA. And as expected, the S20 comes in series -comprising of the Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20+, and Galaxy S20 Ultra.
The S10e from last year has no successor, but not to worry, the vanilla Galaxy S20 is here to take its place, even though the later isn’t quite a good deal for those trying to keep costs low.
No matter which model you decide to opt for, the entire Galaxy S20 lineup got the same design, with the camera modules on the rear panel getting larger from the SS20 up to the Galaxy S20 Ultra. What is more, the entire Galaxy S20 devices get the same display – Samsung’s Dynamic AMOLED tech, Quad HD+ resolutions, and support for HDR10+. The display, however, also gets larger from the S20 to the S20 ultra. A noteworthy improvement over the S10 series is Samsung’s use of a display with a higher refresh rate. Yes, the S20 now features a much higher refresh rate, and, more amazing is the fact that Samsung isn’t limiting this to the premium Galaxy S20 Ultra – the S20, and S20+ also benefit from the 120Hz display panel. With the higher refresh rate, users should get smoother scrolling and more fluid animations.
Still, on the display front, the Galaxy S20, and S20+ feature a 6.2-inch/6.7-inch quad HD+ HDR10+ certified Infinity -O display with in-display Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner. They both come with a single punch-hole for a single 10-megapixel Dual Pixel front-facing camera.
Perhaps, the most compelling features of the new Galaxy S20 smartphones is the rear camera specs. While the S20 comes with a triple camera setup, the S20+ gets an additional camera -making a Quad-cam setup on its rear panel. They both get the same primary 12-megapixel Dual Pixel primary sensor with OIS, 12-megapixel Ultra Wide Lens with a 120-degree field of view and a 64-megapixel Telephoto lens with OIS, while the S20+, on the other hand, gets an additional depth sensor.
Expectedly, the entire GalaxyS20 family is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor with up to 12GB of RAM – the S20 ultra excluded. The S20 only comes in a single 128GB storage variant which you can expand up to 1TB using a microSD card. The S20+, however, is available in three storage options – 128GBGB /256 (5G) / 512GB, all of which you can expand up to 1TB.
Other specs, and features
The S20 and S20+ booth Android 10 with OneUI 2.0 out of the box, are both 5G enabled, powered by a 4,000mAh battery and 4,500mAh batteries respectively. You also get support for a 25W fast charging, fast Wireless Charging as well as new Wireless PowerShare feature to charge Qi-compatible devices on the back devices.
Samsung Galaxy S20 S20+ Pricing, pre-order, and availability
Actual sales for the Galaxy S20 series will kick off on March 6, while it will be open for pre-orders on February 21.
Galaxy S20 Color options
You will be able to pick the Samsung Galaxy S20 in Cloud Blue, Cosmic Gray, and Cloud Pink color options, while the Galaxy S20+ comes in Cosmic Grey, Cloud Blue and Cosmic Black colors.
Pricing and availability
- Galaxy S20 LTE 128GB – £799 (US$ 1,035 / Rs. 73,890 approx.) / €899 (US$ 981 / Rs. 69,980 approx.)
- Galaxy S20 5G 128GB – $999.99 (Rs. 71,325 approx.) / £899 / €999
- Galaxy S20+ 5G 128GB – $1,199.99 (Rs. 85,590 approx.) / £999 / €1099
- Galaxy S20+ 5G 512GB – $1,299.99 (Rs. 92,720 approx.)
Samsung Galaxy S20 and Galaxy S20+ specifications
- S20 – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (3200 × 1440 pixels) Dynamic AMOLED 2X
Infinity-O Display, HDR10+, 563 PPI, 120Hz refresh rate
- S20+ – 6.7-inch Quad HD+ (3200 × 1440 pixels) Dynamic AMOLED 2X
Infinity-O Display, HDR10+, 120Hz refresh rate
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 990 7nm EUV processor with ARM Mali-G77MP11 GPU
- S20 – 8GB / 12GB (5G) LPDDR5 RAM with 128GBGB storage (UFS 3.0), expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- S20+ – 8GB / 12GB (5G) LPDDR5 RAM with 128GBGB /256 (5G) / 512GB (5G) storage (UFS 3.0), expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 10 with OneUI 2.0
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, OIS, 64MP Telephoto lens with 76° FoV, f/2.0 aperture, OIS, Hybrid Optic Zoom 3X, Super Resolution Zoom up to 30X, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture, Depth Vision camera (S20+)
- 10MP Dual Pixel front-facing camera with 80° wide-angle lens, f/2.2 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Ultrasonic Fingerprint Sensor
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor
- S20 Dimensions: 151.7 x 69.1 x 7.9mm; Weight: 163g
- S20+ Dimensions: 161.9 x 73.7 x 7.8mm; Weight: 186g (188g for 5G)
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), HE80, MIMO, 1024-QAM, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- S20 – 4,000mAh (typical) / 3880mAh (minimum) battery with 25W fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, Wireless PowerShare
- S20+ – 4,500mAh (typical) / 4370mAh (minimum) battery with 25W fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, Wireless PowerShare