Last Updated on
Initially billed for an MWC 2020 release, the LG V60 ThinQ 5G has now been officially announced, albeit a virtual release. The V60 as announced today is LG’s take on the Galaxy S20, and while it has yet to officially key into the foldable phone frenzy, the LG V60 ThinQ 5G is supposed to be a take on the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and dual-screen phones like the upcoming Microsoft Surface Duo. Major highlights of the devices include 5G support, an improved camera system capable of 8K video, beefier battery, more recent Android OS, and of course, a Dual-Screen accessory like last year’s LG V50 ThinQ and LG G8X ThinQ
Like most of the devices under its Q series lineup, the LG V60 ThinQ 5G retains the 3.5mm headphone port, comes with a 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC and LG’s own “3D Sound Engine” audio enhancement techniques. Speaking of the audio ability, LG says the V60 has what it calls “voice bokeh” which helps put the “focus” on the person speaking rather than the background noise, no doubt powered by the phone’s four-channel microphone arrangement.
Similar to most contemporary flagship smartphones, the V60 ThinQ uses Qualcomm’s latest SoC – the Snapdragon 865 — backed by 8GB of RAM, and that means it is baked with the chipmaker’s X55 modem which supports both flavors of 5G, mmWave (higher bandwidth) and sub-6GHz (better coverage).
In terms of the design, the LG V60 ThinQ drops the typical metal-and-glass and the glossy finish that we see on so many phones for chamfered edges and a sand-blasted finish. The device is re-enforced with Corning’s Gorilla Glass 5 on the front, while the Korean phone maker for reason best known to it opted for the newer, stronger Gorilla Glass 6 on the back.
And while most OEMs have since opted for the punch hole design, the LG V60 ThinQ got the waterdrop notch treatment at the front making it the first of the V series to get such design. Still, upfront, the V60 has an under-display fingerprint scanner, while on the flip side, it features a ToF sensor and a pair of cameras – a 1/1.7″ 64MP main shooter with OIS and 13 MP ultrawide snapper with a 117-degree field of view. The phone is capable of 8K video recording with support for HDR10+ in manual mode.
The main screen is a 6.8-inch FHD+ (2460 x 1080) OLED panel, oddly without any fancy high refresh rates, just plain old 60Hz. And much like last year’s V50 ThinQ, the V60 ThinQ has a second screen with a 6.8-inch FHD+ OLED panel. The screen, however, lacks battery of its own but gets a 360-degree hinge, and most of all, it has a small outer display that’ll show you the time and notifications.
The device boots Android 10 with LG UX 9.0 out of the box, sports a dedicated Google Assistant key on the left-hand side, powered by a beefy 5,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 4+ as well as wireless charging, while it is IP68 dust and water-resistant and MIL-STD 810G compliant.
LG V60 ThinQ 5G Specs, and Price
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 865 Mobile Platform with Snapdragon X55 5G Modem
- Display: 6.8-inch 20.5:9 FHD+ P-OLED FullVision (2,460 x 1,080 / 395ppi)
- Memory: 8GB RAM / 128GB or 256GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- Camera: – Rear: 64MP Standard (F1.8 / 0.8μm / 78˚) / 13MP Super Wide (F1.9 / 1.0μm / 117˚) / Z Camera (ToF Receiver / Emitter) – Front: 10MP Standard (F1.9 / 1.22μm / 72.5˚)
- Battery: 5,000mAh
- Operating System: Android 10
- Size: 169.3 x 77.6 x 8.9mm
- Weight: 214g
- Network: 5G / LTE / 3G / 2G
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac, ax / Bluetooth 5.1 / NFC / USB Type-C (USB 3.1 Compatible)
- Biometrics: In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
- Colors: Classy Blue, Classy White
- Other: Stereo Speaker / 4Ch Microphones / AI CAM / Google Lens / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / LG 3D Sound Engine / HDR10+ / Qualcomm Quick Charge™ 4+ / MIL-STD 810G Compliance / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / LG Pay / FM Radio
LG V60 ThinQ – Pricing and availability
The phone maker has yet to officially detail its roll out plans, as well as pricing of the LG V60 ThinQ. Specific pricing and availability will vary by network partner and be announced at a later date.