Like it or not, Chinese smartphone maker VIVO is one industry player you can not ignore when it comes to cutting edge technologies. The firm was one of the first to adopt some of the trending techs when it presented the Vivo Nex S with a pop-up selfie camera and in-display fingerprint sensor last year. The firm has today followed through on that with the introduction of the Nex 3, and Vivo Nex 3 5G – a flagship-grade device that not only stars in the camera unit but particularly in the design department.
The Vivo Nex 3 5G is a combination of the quirks adopted from previous Vivo concepts and some exciting new features. Notably, the Nex 3 5G touts a “Waterfall FullView” curved display, a triple set of rear cameras, and a front camera that pops out faster than any other model.
Speaking of the “Waterfall FullView” curved display, the VIVO Nex 3 5G actually sports a “Waterfall FullView” OLED display that extends fully to both sides giving thus reducing the bezels to a near 0% level, and a whole 99.6 percent screen-to-body ratio. The screen curves around the device, eliminating the need for physical buttons. Yes, the VIVO Nex 3 has no power nor volume rockers. Instead, the Chinese firm has opted for virtual buttons called Touch Sense that work alongside a haptic feedback system, similar to the port-less and button-less Apex 2019 concept phone we saw earlier this year.
The display houses an in-screen fingerprint sensor with a 25-percent increase in the scanning area, and it’s also apparently faster than before. Still, upfront, the device gets a pop-up selfie camera system housing a 16MP sensor and LED flash. The pop-up looks largely, and centrally placed than ever before, perhaps due to the LED sensor.
On the flip side, the VIVO Nex 3 5G gets a similarly curved glass panel that flushes with the curved edges. It is has a “Lunar Ring Camera System” which is home to a triple camera setup comprising of a primary 64-megapixel main sensor with 1/1.7 aperture, a 13-megapixel ultrawide, and a 13-megapixel telephoto.
Other notable features include; the latest Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC with a vapor chamber cooling system, a 4,500mAh with Super FlashCharge 44W fast charging, and Android 9.0 (Pie) with Funtouch OS 9.1.
Vivo NEX 3 / NEX 3 5G specifications
- 6.89-inch (1080 × 2256 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED display with 100% P3 wide color gamut, HDR10, 800 nit brightness
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus 7nm Mobile Platform (1 x 2.96GHz Kryo 485 + 3 x 2.42GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.80GHz Kryo 485) with Adreno 640 GPU
- 8GB RAM with 128GB / 256GB (UFS 3.0) internal memory, 12GB RAM with 512GB (UFS 3.0) internal memory
- Dual SIM
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with Funtouch OS 9.1
- 64MP rear camera with 1/1.72″ Samsung GW1 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, LED flash, 13MP 120-degree ultra-wide lens, 13MP telephoto lens for 2x optical zoom, 10x digital zoom
- 16MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, AK4377A Hi-Fi DAC
- Dimensions:167.44×76.18×9.4mm ; Weight: 218g
- 5G, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C, NFC
- 4500mAh (typical) / 4410mAh (minimum) battery with 44W ultra-fast charging
The device will go on sale in China from September 2 1 before heading to other markets starting with Asia Pacific, Southeast China in the coming months. It is available in Black and White color options only.
Vivo Nex 3 5G / Nex 3 4G Pricing
NEX 3 4G version with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage is priced at 4998 yuan /$ 707, while the 5G variant with the same 8GB RAM and 256GB storage is priced at 5698 yuan/US$ 806. Then there is the 12GB RAM + 256GB storage version that goes for 6198 yuan /US$ 876.