Xiaomi’s Redmi brand has just announced the Redmi 8A in India. The Redmi 8A is the sequel to last year’s Redmi 7A, and is still, by all means, an entry-level smartphone. The device gets a slight design refinement but brings a slew of improvements internally over the Redmi 7A.
It is purely made of Polycarbonate with a new Aura Wave grip design. It retains the 7A’s single rear camera, but now with a patterned strip that runs down the bottom of the device. Still, the fingerprint scanner conspicuously missing, but not to worry, as it comes with face unlock feature. The boots Xiaomi’s MIUI 10 on top of Android 9 Pie out of the box, but will be getting the MIUI 11 soonest.
Up front, the Redmi 8A drops the 7A’s conventional design for a larger 6.22″ IPS display, still with HD+ resolution, but now with a water-drop notch. It is layered with a Gorilla Glass 5 protection against accidental falls. For optics, the Redmi 8A comes fitted with a single 12 MP F/1.8 Sony IMX363 camera with dual PD autofocus around the back, while the notch is home to an 8MP selfie cam.
Under the hood, the device is powered by the Snapdragon 439 chipset, while it comes in 2/3GB RAM and 32GB storage expandable 512GB. It gets a dedicated memory slot, with dual SIM slots, IR port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. Notably, the Redmi8A is splash-proof with a P2i rating. For power, there is a large 5000mAh battery with support for 18W fast charging. Although you only get a 10W adapter in the box.
Redmi 8A Pricing and Availability
How much is the Redmi 8A? Available in Midnight Black, Ocean Blue, and Sunset Red color options, the Redmi8A will go on sale in India from the mid-night of September 29th via Flipkart and mi.com. For the base 2/32 GB version, Xiaomi is asking for a paltry INR 6,499 ($91), while the 3/32 GB model is set priced at INR 6,999 ($98). Xiaomi has yet to detail the availability and pricing for international markets including China.
Redmi 8A specifications
- 6.2-inch (1520 × 720 pixels) HD+ 19:9 2.5D curved glass display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core (Quad 1.95GHz Cortex A53 + Quad 1.45GHz Cortex A53) Snapdragon 439 Mobile Platform with Adreno 505 GPU
- 2GB / 3GB RAM with 32GB storage / 3GB RAM with 32GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX363 sensor, 1.4μm pixel size, f/1.9 aperture, Dual PD auto focus
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Splash resistant (P2i coating)
- 3.5mm audio jack, Wireless FM Radio
- Dimensions: 156.3×75.4×9.4mm; Weight: 188g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 5000mAh (typical) battery with 18W fast charging