South Korean electronics giant Samsung has just unveiled the much-rumored Galaxy Watch Active 2 mere months after it announced the Galaxy Watch Active back in February. The announcement is also coming just a few hours ahead of the grand unveiling of the phablet Galaxy Note 10. A sequel to the Watch Active wasn’t expected this year, but Samsung just bent its rules.
Ad expected, the Galaxy Watch Active 2 and the original Active are two similar watches, but the Watch 2 Active is and more feature-rich, and way more pricey.
The smartwatch comes in two sizes — 40 and 44mm — and Bluetooth and LTE versions. Unlike the Watch active which uses only touchscreen for navigation, the Galaxy Watch Active 2 now features digital bezels with touch-sensitive edge controls that allow you to navigate the watch UI.
Both variants of the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 have a Super AMOLED screen with 360 x 360px resolution with Gorilla Glass DX+ for screen protection. However, the variant with a 40mm aluminum case has a 1.2” display, while the 44mm goes for a slightly larger 1.4” screen. n terms of build material, Samsung is offering the Smartwatch in a lightweight version aluminum body(40mm)and an FKM wrist strap or a premium stainless steel watch body with a leather strap. And interestingly, you can swap the straps with any standard 20mm band of choice.
The watch is powered by the Exynos 9110 chipset with 768MB of RAM for the Bluetooth variant, 1,5GB RAM for the LTE version, and 4GB of storage space for both versions. The Watch is based on Tizen OS.
There is a new accelerometer that measures 32G of force up from 16G on the older model. This essentially allows the watch to read your heart rate faster with more accuracy. The Galaxy Watch Active 2 is also capable of measuring your ECG, though isn’t immediately available at launch. The watch has Bluetooth 5.0 and NFC for mobile payments support, as well as GPS for tracking workouts without a phone.
And similar to the original Watch active, the Watch Active 2 can track over 39 workouts and offers stress tracking with guided meditation, sleep analysis, and an improved Running Coach feature for monitoring real-time pace metrics. What is more, with the smartwatch, you can do quite a lot of things on the go without tethering with your smartphone. First, you can respond to tweets on Twitter, or watch video clips on the watch, as well as listen to music on their watches with Spotify.
This time around, Samsung has introduced one hand feature it calls the My Style color which essentially allows you to customize your watch face using extraction app (available in the Galaxy Wearable app). All you got to do is take a photo of their outfit, select your favorite colors from the outfit, and create a watch face based around that color scheme.
Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2 specifications
- 44mm models: 1.4-inch (360 x 360 pixels) Super AMOLED, full color Always On Display, Corning Gorilla Glass DX+ protection
- 40mm models: 1.2-inch (360 x 360 pixels) Super AMOLED, full color Always On Display, Corning Gorilla Glass DX+ protection
- Exynos 9110 Dual-core 1.15 GHz processor
- 768MB / 1.5GB (LTE) RAM, 4GB Internal Memory
- Tizen-based Wearable OS, compatible with Android 5.0 or above with more than 1.5GB RAM and iPhone 5 and above running iOS 9.0 or above
- Heart Rate Monitoring (with 8 Photodiodes), Electrocardiogram (ECG), Accelerometer (measure up to 32g of force), Gyroscope, Barometer, Ambient Light
- 5ATM + IP68 water resistance, MIL-STD-810G certified for durability
- Dimensions: 44 x 44 x 10.9T (44mm) / 40 x 40 x 10.9T (40mm); Weight: 30g (Aluminum 44mm), 26g (Aluminum 40mm), 42g (Stainless Steel 44mm), 37g (Stainless Steel 40mm)
- LTE (Optional), Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi b/g/n, NFC, A-GPS/ GLONASS/ Beidou
- 340mAh (44mm) / 247mAh (40mm) battery with WPC-based wireless charging
Samsung is offering the Galaxy Watch Active 2 Aluminum version in Silver Cloud, Aqua Black and Pink Gold color options with Fluoroelastomer (FKM), while the Stainless Steel version comes in Silver, Black, and Gold with Leather Strap colors.
Pricing and Availability
Sadly, the Galaxy Watch Active 2 isn’t immediately available for sale. Pre-order starts from Friday, September 6 on Samsung.com and through other retailers in the U.S, while it starts shipping from September 26th. In Europe, the watch will open for pre-orders from August 23 and will be available from September 13. The brand has yet to reveal pricing for the LTE variant with Stainless steel frame, however, there are rumors the watch will be available at AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular and Verizon starting September 27, 2019. The 40mm Bluetooth model is priced at $279.99, while the bigger 44mm model costs $299.99.