The “One series” of Motorola’s smartphones lineup which first debuted back in 2018 has just received a new member. Dubbed the Motorola One Action, the device has long been rumored and has just been announced in Brazil. With the One Action, Motorola looks set to deliver action-camera-like video quality on a smartphone.
As expected, the highlight of the device is its rear cameras – particularly the 3rd camera which earns it the “Action” in the name. We are talking about a dedicated ultra-wide video camera with a 117-degree field of view that’s designed to shoot video just like a GoPro. Yes, you read that right. The third sensor isn’t actually meant for regular photo shooting. But for action – video which explains while the Lenovo owned company opted for the Motorola One Action moniker.
How does the One Action differ from the regular smartphone cameras? Notice those obnoxious black bars in a number of videos on the net? Motorola’s solution is actually aimed at eliminating that. First off, the firm has tactically rotated the One Action’s video sensor. This is to ensure that the camera frame takes in video horizontally even while the device is held in a vertical manner. Aside from that, the firm has also pushed in what it refers to as “Enhanced Video Stabilization”. This should essentially help cut down on the noise while shooting.
The video sensor is joined by a 12MP sensor with an f/1.8 aperture for your usual photo session, a 5MP depth sensor for portrait and bokeh, while the One Action gets a a 12-megapixel camera for selfies.
The Motorola One Action is fronted by a 6.3-inch FHD+ panel with a punch hole cutout for the selfie cam. And under the hood, the device gets Samsung’s Exynos 9609 processor coupled with 4GB of RAM, and 128GB of onboard storage. Of course, it is powered by Android 9 under the Android One for the international market. But the variant meant for the US and Canada gets it with the standard Android 9 out of the box.
Rounding of the specs sheet, the One Action gets a 3,500mAh battery that charges over a USB-C port with support for 10-watt fast wired charging.
Motorola One Action specifications
- 6.3-inch (1080×2520 pixels) Full HD+ LCD with 21:9 aspect ratio
- 2.2 GHz Octa-Core Exynos 9609 processor
- 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 12MP rear camera with LED flash, f/1.8 aperture,1.25um pixel size, PDAF, 117-degree Ultra-wide Action camera with 2.0um Quad Pixel technology, f/2.2 aperture, 5MP depth sensing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 12MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture, 1.25um pixel size
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Bottom-ported speaker with Dolby Audio, dual microphones, FM Radio
- Dimensions: 160.1 x 71.2 x 9.15mm; Weight: 176g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3500mAh with 10W charging
Motorola One Action Pricing
The device is immediately available in Brazil, Mexico, and several European countries for €249 (~$276). While our friends in the U.S. and Canada will only get the device later in early October at an unknown price point.