Embattled Chinese telecom and phone maker – Huawei has launched its first smartphones with a pop-up camera solution in India. The latest entrant to the India market is the Huawei Y9 Prime (2019). The Huawei Y9 Prime (2019) is actually more or less the Huawei P Smart Z in a new skin, though with slight differences. Remarkably, the Y9 Prime (2019) gets a triple rear camera setup, while the P Smart Z makes do of dual rear setup.
The device gets a combo of 16MP main, 8MP ultra-wide, and 2MP depth sensor modules on the back panel, while the pop-up module on the front side reveals a 16MP sensor for selfies. The front and rear cameras all come with AI-powered features and 3D Portrait retouching. Aside from that, the device has Night Mode, as well as slow-motion videos captured at 480fps.
Other than the additional camera module, the design remains largely unchanged. It has a rear fingerprint scanner, a 6.59-inch full HD+ display with 1080 x 2340 pixels resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio and 391ppi pixel density. The phone is powered by octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 710 processor, but only now available in 4GB RAM + 128GB of storage variant which can be expanded up to 512GB using microSD card.
It is powered by a 4,000mAh battery and comes loaded with EMUI 9.0 based on Android 9 Pie, but there is the likely hood it could get updated to EMUI 9.1.
Huawei Y9 Prime: Price & Availability
The device is available in Emerald Green and Sapphire Blue, with a black option that comes with a dual-finish design. The device is priced at ₹15,990 (~$235) for the single 4GB/128GB variant. Pre-orders start from August 5th via retail outlets like Croma and Poorvika. Pre-order comes with a free Huawei Sport BT headphones and a 15,600 mAh power bank worth INR4,598 ($65/€60). Amazon.in Prime members will be able to purchase the device on August 7, with general sales commencing from the next day.
Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 specifications
- 6.59-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 19:5:9 2.5D curved glass display
- Octa-Core Kirin 710 12nm (4 x 2.2GHz Cortex-A73 +4 x 1.7GHz Cortex-A53) with ARM Mali-G51 MP4 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Android 9 (Pie) with EMUI 9.0
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 16-megapixel primary sensor with f/1.8 aperture, an 8-megapixel secondary ultra-wide sensor with f/2.4 aperture, 2-megapixel depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture
- 16MP pop-up front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 163.5×77.3×8.8mm; Weight: 196.8g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery